VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a sort of combined Windows 7/DOSbox question... I want to play some version of Sim City - preferably the newest one I can, obviously. I can pick up most versions for pennies on eBay, but I have read various comments around the net about compatibility with newer machines (I have a Windows 7 x64 system).

What version of Sim City would run best either in Windows 7 (including Compatibility modes) or DOSbox? If it needs special setup, can you point me at a guide?

I already have SimCity 2000, somewhere, I've yet to try it out though... ...or find it...

Reply 2 of 15, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ANY version - I'm going to buy the one that runs best on a Windows 7 x64 system (unless 2000 is fine - assuming I can find my CD). I'm asking in advance, as I just bought a copy of ToCA Race Driver 2 on eBay, only to find it just don't work on a 64 bit system (thanks to the copy protection), and I don't want to be caught out again. Admittedly, Race Driver 2 cost me 1 penny (plus postage)...

Reply 3 of 15, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure about more modern versions with W7, but as far as DOS versions (when ran under DOSBox), the SimCity 2000 Special Edition CD is great 😀

It also includes the 16-bit W3x and 32-bit W9x versions of SC2K, not sure how well those would run natively under W7 though.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 4 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've played SC2000SE Win32 on WXP64bit before, worked fine. Dunno about 7 64.

Personally I prefer the old DOS version of SC2k, that interface gives a special feel the Windows versions can't seem to imitate.

I think there was a special CD-ROM DOS version of Simcity where it had some poor out-of-a-job comedian narrate events, or something. Or maybe i'm confusing that with something else. It definitely didn't last long in the market as SC2000 took over the Wolf3D/Harpoon 90's office "productivity".

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 15, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Personally I prefer the old DOS version of SC2k, that interface gives a special feel the Windows versions can't seem to imitate.

Heh, and I thought *I* was the only crazy one <grin>... agreed 100% 😀

leileilol wrote:

I think there was a special CD-ROM DOS version of Simcity where it had some poor out-of-a-job comedian narrate events, or something. Or maybe i'm confusing that with something else.

I've never heard of that one before. The only on that I've seen before that had FMVs was the SE CD version... the FMVs were interviews with Will Wright about the making of the SC series.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 6 of 15, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies folks - I had thought SC2000 was a Windows game. I found the CD last night, but too late to check it out, I'll try tonight. I have certainly read enough elsewhere to worry that it won't install under Win7!

Reply 7 of 15, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wulf wrote:

I had thought SC2000 was a Windows game.

The original was a DOS game (floppy based AFAIK). But later when they released the Special Edition CD, they also included W3x and W9x ports. Also included on the SE CD was the additional "Scenarios" pack that they had previously sold. Heh, I'm a little partial to the "Homestead" one, as I went through Hurricane Andrew <grin>.

Anyhoo, the DOS version runs great under DOSBox.

@All,

BTW, one functional advantage to the DOS version; In the DOS version of SCURK you can plop down airport runways (in both of the WinDoZe ports of SCURK you can't). Normally, this isn't a real biggie... but it's EXTREMELY handy when creating cities for use with the old SimCopter, another of my favs 😀

Heh, almost forgot, since the topic is SC2K -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/simcity_2000/sc2stuff.htm 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 8 of 15, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow... SimCopter... I'd forgotten that existed! I have tried it in the past, but sadly I think it was one (of many...) games I obtained from less legitimate sources... all of which have been disposed of. I might start picking some up on eBay.

Reply 9 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rfnagel wrote:

But later when they released the Special Edition CD, they also included W3x and W9x ports.

The Windows ports were done before SE came out by the way (I remember older pre-SE versions). The SE version removes some cheats.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 15, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everyone is, of course, correct. Works like a dream in DOSbox.

Of course, my first city burned to the ground in 10 years...

And, equally obviously, as this turns out to be a DOS game, I posted in the wrong section! Sorry... 😢

Reply 11 of 15, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wulf wrote:

Wow... SimCopter... I'd forgotten that existed! I have tried it in the past, but sadly I think it was one (of many...) games I obtained from less legitimate sources... all of which have been disposed of. I might start picking some up on eBay.

I highly recommend SimCopter. SimCopter (as well as "Streets of SimCity") allows you to import your SC2K cities and then fly (or drive in SOSC) around in them 😀 Heh, that was the reason that I first purchased them, had to go through EBay though (as they were long-since out of production).

After buying SimCopter and giving it a "whirl", I quickly became addicted to the game, playing it more than any other PC game at the time. Heh, almost forgot about this one, read my little Amazon.com review here -> http://www.amazon.com/SimCopter-Pc/product-re … #R3KV2UL3C9Z4OW 😀

leileilol wrote:

The Windows ports were done before SE came out by the way (I remember older pre-SE versions).

I hadn't realize that, thanks for the info 😀 The only other Windows (3x and 9x) ports that I had remembered were of the original Simcity.

leileilol wrote:

The SE version removes some cheats.

IIRC all of the cheats are in all of the various ports of SC2K on the SE CD. Some of the ports use different cheat codes, but I think that they're basically all there.

@All,

Attached to this post is a text file that I had compiled quite some time ago... y'all may find it useful 😀 Chock full of help, tips, cheats, etc...

Attachments

• Filename
    SC2KHELP.TXT
    File size
    146.19 KiB
    Downloads
    573 downloads
    File comment
    SimCity 2000 Complete Manual, Help, and Tips
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 12 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wulf wrote:

And, equally obviously, as this turns out to be a DOS game, I posted in the wrong section! Sorry... 😢

Its OS of origin is actually the Mac, so don't be too bummed about it 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem