VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(Hope this is the right section for this post... not really dealing with any problems with a game, but rather a general question.)

In Westwood Studios' Monopoly CD-ROM (released back in 1995), literally eons ago I stumbled upon the following tidbits contained in the game's data file "STRINGS.TRE":

Secret Programmer Mode discovered!

...and directly below that in the same file:

Activate "Free properties" mode?
Activate "Embezzling" mode?
Activate "Wacky deeds" mode?
Activate "Tag! You're it" mode?
Activate "Tag! Back off" mode?
Activate "Tag! Yer busted" mode?
Activate "Back in time" mode?
Activate "Chance warping" mode?
Activate "Treasure chests" mode?
Activate "New York Parking" mode?
Activate "Atlantic City" mode?
Activate "Slow" mode?
Activate "Turbo" mode?

I then found the sound files "SECRET.WAV", "SECRETON.WAV", "TAGBACK.WAV", "TAGJAIL.WAV", "TAGURIT.WAV", and "TREASURE.WAV" located in the game's "SOUNDS" subdirectory (which AFAIK aren't normally used within any part of the game).

Does anyone have ANY idea how to enable this "Secret Programmer Mode"? I'm not even sure if there is actually a way to enable it (it may have been some sort of debug mode that was disabled in the final release of the game). After Googling and Yahooing off and on for quite a number of years I have yet to read anyone/anything refering to it.

Throughout the years I've tried clicking on everything in the game that I could think of, pressing various obscure key combinations and such, but have never figured out how to enable this mode. I assume(d) that the process to enable it would be something similar to the little Easter egg in the game, when you click on a special area of the "About" screen, which then displays the "Secret Unofficial Coder Special Thanks" dialog.

Like I said though, I'm not even sure if this feature is still actually accessible... it may have been disabled in the final release of the game (?).

Any ideas?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 3 of 3, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

If the main executable can be started with parameters, search for known ones in the .exe and close to those locations.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the game supports no command line parameters that I'm aware of.

leileilol wrote:

"Underwear Alignment mode"

I could only guess 🤣! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net