VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wondering. The only source port I've seen that didn't strike me as utter crap was NewWolf, but the final level of Spear of Destiny can't be finished. **SPOILERS**

What's supposed to happen is, you destroy the "Death Knight," and then enter a vault, where the Spear is being stored, and take it. When you leave the vault, the castle is gone, and replaced with a hellish environment where you have to fight the angel of death.

In NewWolf, once you take the spear, you get a warning "unknown item type," and the castle is still there, leaving you with nothing to do but quit the game.

So, just wondering if there's a better way to play Spear of Destiny to its completion than with DOSBox.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try this one. it's so good, Carmack himself ported it (to iPhone)!

http://wolf3dredux.sourceforge.net/

DISCLAIMER: I haven't even tried it. It supposedly supports Spear, but it doesn't look as bad or appear as stagnant or questionable as NewWolf.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is just what you're looking for: http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uvaue/chaos/downloads.html Ports for both Wolf3d and Spear fully working and completable.

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

DISCLAIMER: I haven't even tried it. It supposedly supports Spear, but it doesn't look as bad or appear as stagnant or questionable as NewWolf.

I have tried it and it stinks. No saving, the music glitches, and it's "Windows 9X support" is a lie (compiled with newer Visual Studio that artificially blocks older windows) and you can't even set the texture filter, and its extractor doesn't support all wolf3d versions (1.1 registered will give you texture glitches)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

This is just what you're looking for: http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uvaue...loads.html Ports for both Wolf3d and Spear fully working and completable.

And I can confirm that the above SDL version works both in Windows 98 and XP SP3. Looks and plays just like the original DOS versions.

Pentium II 400 MHz
Ati Rage Fury Pro
SB AWE64 ISA

Reply 5 of 5, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thecrankyhermit wrote:
Just wondering. The only source port I've seen that didn't strike me as utter crap was NewWolf, but the final level of Spear of […]
Show full quote

Just wondering. The only source port I've seen that didn't strike me as utter crap was NewWolf, but the final level of Spear of Destiny can't be finished. **SPOILERS**

What's supposed to happen is, you destroy the "Death Knight," and then enter a vault, where the Spear is being stored, and take it. When you leave the vault, the castle is gone, and replaced with a hellish environment where you have to fight the angel of death.

In NewWolf, once you take the spear, you get a warning "unknown item type," and the castle is still there, leaving you with nothing to do but quit the game.

So, just wondering if there's a better way to play Spear of Destiny to its completion than with DOSBox.

The original developer the newwolf, DarkOne, didnt finish writing the end screen code in NewWolf, that's why nothings occurs after you defeat the Death Knight. He hasnt worked on NewWolf in years, though anyone could work on it if they like. Right now the best port for wolf3d and Spear is wolf4sdl.