VOGONS

Common searches

Dark Seed 2

Topic actions

First post, by lastninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i'm pretty noob at old windows, I usually just my old Win95 hardware for such things but have gotten lazy plugging cords into it past few months and now would rather play on updated machines. Dark Seed II gives me grief by having a very small gameplay window - 1/4 of the screen, top left alignment. The lowest setting my graphics card will go (via selection in windows display settings) is 800x600, I tried that too at 16 bit but no luck still same window size.

Any help would be appreciated - I've had some dosbox problems until now and I've just got them sorted thanks to this board - now just need to get this puppy running and i'm sorted 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by Raymond C. Glassford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dark Seed II gives me grief by having a very small gameplay window - 1/4 of the screen, top left alignment. The lowest setting my graphics card will go (via selection in windows display settings) is 800x600, I tried that too at 16 bit but no luck still same window size.

I have installed Windows 3.11 under DOSBox 0.73, both Windows XP and Linux versions. Dark Seed II runs fine in both cases in windowed mode. I use a resolution of 1024x768, overlay, scaler normal2x, and aspect true. These settings give me a window that is large enough for easy viewing. The run-through for installing Windows 3.11 is too complex to give here. Advise if problems persist. PM might be best if things continue to be complicated.

Reply 2 of 4, by gabrielnoah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running Mandriva Linux 2007.0 with Wine 1.0 installed. Running the Darkseed 2 download found here under Wine displays a message box asking me to reset my display resolution to 640x480, which I do not want to do, just to run a single game. The major downfall of Dark Seed II is its weak character development. Mike, incidentally named after the producer Mike Dawson, is simply an uninspiring protagonist.

4gb mini sd card

Reply 3 of 4, by Raymond C. Glassford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gabrielnoah wrote:

I am running Mandriva Linux 2007.0 with Wine 1.0 installed. Running the Darkseed 2 download found here under Wine displays a message box asking me to reset my display resolution to 640x480, which I do not want to do, just to run a single game. The major downfall of Dark Seed II is its weak character development. Mike, incidentally named after the producer Mike Dawson, is simply an uninspiring protagonist.

DOSBox with Windows 3.1(1) installed is the only good way I have found to run Darkseed II under a Linux operating system. I am using PCLinuxOS 2009.4 LXDE presently. I had no success with Wine, because of the resolution reset requirement.

Dark Seed II has many puzzling plot twists; for example, Mike Dawson's Dark World mom suddenly cutting off her own head. The ending was somewhat disappointing.

Reply 4 of 4, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gabrielnoah wrote:

Wine displays a message box asking me to reset my display resolution to 640x480, which I do not want to do, just to run a single game. .

why ever not it's only a couple of mouse clicks

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness