VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to play Hasbro's Axis & Allies on Windows XP. I still get through the intro, the main menu, and USSR's combat movement phase (I play as Germany). But after the USSR invades a territory, the game crashes with the infamous message:

AxisAllies.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close (Send | Don't Send)

I've tried compatibility mode ad nauseam. Nope, it doesn't work. I can play the game on my Win98 legacy system, but I'm traveling a lot lately, and intend to play it on my netbook.

Anyway, here's my system:
- MSI Wind U100
- Intel Atom 1.6 GHz
- 2GB of RAM
- Windows XP Home

Is there any way to play it on XP without resorting to virtual machines? Thanks.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 5, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is a homemade patch for the US version
www.ewarzone.com

also you could try to
set your processor affinity to a single-core
disable cut-scenes from the in-game menu
and maybe try replacing dplayx.dll with a older (or newer) version

Reply 3 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, thanks! I'll try the patch first.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 5, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the combat crash is a known issue with INTEL 945 chipsets on Vista+
the apparent solution was to install the XP drivers (but your already uising XP)

the next version of the Starterpack will also include the next version of my drawfix patch...

it will include the ability to play the game in a window
(which makes it more stable for some reason)
and the ability to Force DirectDraw Emulation

if the current patch doesn't work for you PM me and I'll send
you a sneak peak of the next version

Reply 5 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aqrit wrote:

if the current patch doesn't work for you PM me and I'll send
you a sneak peak of the next version

You are the one who writes the patches? Kewl.

I have tried the current patch (AAStarterPack43.exe). I also enable the nVidia/Vista video fix just in case, although I don't really need it, since my MSI Wind netbook has Windows XP and Intel GMA chip.

There is a drawback, though, I can no longer see the videos. However, the patch allows me to experience combat. In fact, the patch enables me to go through an entire game. I haven't checked every single feature, but it seems everything works well, including the Time Machine feature.

But when I went through the tutorials, the game crashes again during the "German Strategy" phase.

Nonetheless, the game was really a blast. I played as the Germans. It was like ten years when I played the game, so I "cheated" a little, giving all the Allied forces three-star generals, while giving Japan a six-star general (Yamamoto). I ignored the game's conventional wisdom of destroying the British fleet around North Sea and Mediterranean Sea; focusing the bulk of my forces to invade Russia instead. Moscow fell on the third round, but my entire naval forces were decimated. The British managed to occupy Western Europe, and the United States successfully invaded Finland.

But it didn't matter. The conquest of Moscow gave me quite a huge amount of IPC to bolster my defenses. Soon, I retook Western Europe from the Brits, and Finland would follow.

However, my Japan ally had conquered the rest of the world while I kept the Allied forces busy. And we won by reaching economic victory. Damn, I haven't got the chance to capture London.

Nonetheless, it was a blast. I've almost forgotten how good the game was, and it will definitely stay in my netbook.

Thanks for the patch. I hope the next iteration will bring a more stable gaming experience in XP.