VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hungrigerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently been trying to get I-War working on my Windows-XP (32bit) system. (I have the 3cd pre patched us edition of I-War)
I've read through most of the threads here, and have found that the game basically fails on 3 fronts.

1.) software mode does not work, so one needs a glide-wrapper.
2.) the game crashes on startup, if your pagefile is larger than 500mb
3.) the game crashes (sometimes) after ending a mission with shift-q.

In my case, the solution to problem 1.) is zeckensacks glide wrapper.
http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

Now the 'solution' to problem 2.) has been somewhat dis-satisfactory, because setting my page-file to 500mb just to play a game is simply not an option.
I began digging around, found out that the game uses the 'GlobalMemoryStatus'-function to determine how much memory is availible, and it was obviously getting it wrong.
So I intended on writing a hook to intercept the call, and correct the return value, but to my luck I found someone who had already done it 😀
(for Corel paint!)
http://dev.depeuter.org/corelpainter_fix.php
He also wrote a 'generic approach', which I've tested and which works fine with I-War.
http://dev.depeuter.org/metacreations_fix.php
So if you download that, extract it to your I-War folder, rename the exe to New_IWar.exe, and create a shortcut to it with the '-b -16 -800x600' options added, you will bypass the 2.) problem without messing with your page file.

Kudos to Geert De Peuter, the author of this 'intercept-hook'!!!

Now, all that remains is the Shift-q, crash, which seems to be DirectSound related and should also be able to be fixable by a similar approach.

Until then, happy testing!
😁

Call Apogee, Say "Aardwolf"!

Reply 3 of 8, by hungrigerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, all it does is circumvent the need for adjusting your page file size.

As mentioned before, the shift-q ctd still happens in 3dfx mode using zeckensacks glide wrapper.
Using dgVoodoo the game also starts, but crashes randomly during missions.
I have not experienced this kind of instability using zeckensacks GW.
(But I've only completed the training missions so far...).
Also software mode is still broken.

As for the in-game videos, they sadly still smear, so this isn't perfect, but it makes it a little easier to play IWar (with the other known limitations) 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by hungrigerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I don't have a vista/7 machine handy at the moment, both my pcs are xp, one 32bit the x64, the latter I have not tried this 'fix' with yet.

Disabling the DirectSound acceleration from dxdiag does not help with the ctd in xp sadly. 😠

Reply 6 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a quote from the i-war forum

"I have issues with the SHIFT+Q crashes locking up my machine if running I-War full-screen, so I use dgVoodoo windowed, and the -w option to play a mission in windowed software mode to work around any mission that features this problem."

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 7 of 8, by hungrigerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, well in my experience the shift-q issue nearly always occurs, after every mission and after instant-action. I don't know if it goes away when playing windowed; and I don't really care, because windowed mode breaks the game for me, the ctd doesn't really matter, as progress is saved.

I'm planing on investigating this DirectSound issue further though, maybe I can find out what call is crashing the game, and just maybe there's a possibility of 'fixing' it, by hooking onto that function call, and modifying it accordingly. We'll see... 😖

Reply 8 of 8, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did get the game to run a bit using the page file adjustment but i would love to hear your progress, i did not follow all that you posted but hopefully once you get it all working you can give us a step by step, i have both I war and the sequel, I War II and would love to see them both.

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/