VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HeroZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game is working perfectly for me on Windows 7 64-bit with the exception of the music. I've tried scouring the net but unsurprisingly found little to help me with this issue since there are probably a very small number of people playing this at all anymore. I've tried disabling hardware sound and sound filtering in the configuration but this appears to have no effect whatsoever. Anyone gotten music to work on either Vista or 7 64-bit?

Reply 1 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried it in xp and it crashed with an error dswave.dll
when i disabled music it worked fine

edit: downloaded dswave.dll from
http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new … 0/download.html

and put it in the game folder and now its working

Last edited by Davros on 2010-06-04, 11:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 8, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played both games in Windows XP a while ago and both worked great, no sound or music troubles. Didn't try them in Vista/7 yet though.

Maybe it's a codec issue like with Max Payne? There are tools to unpack files from the VFS the games are using. If you can find the music files in the VFS you could look at the RIFF header to see which codec was used to compress the music (i guess it's encoded with some lossy codec). I don't have the game installed now and don't have much time, thus can't check for myself.

EDIT: Google is your friend, as always.

Reply 4 of 8, by HeroZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've played this game before in XP and music worked fine. This thread is regarding Windows 7 64-bit.

The fix in the second post is for NOLF1 which works fine for me right out of the box in Windows 7 64-bit.

Reply 5 of 8, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, didn't notice the fix being about NOLF, sorry. But worth a try anyway, maybe the fix works for NOLF2 as well? My next guess would be the codec issue, but of course it's hard to tell without having the game installed. Maybe I should play these classics again, of course only for scientific purposes (; .

Reply 8 of 8, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game works fine for me on Win 7 x64. No music or sound troubles at all. Did you update the game correctly? While Googling for the problem I've stumbled across some threads with a recommended update sequence, maybe you should try updating as per the recommendations. I'm playing the GOTY version so the update stuff doesn't apply to my version though.