VOGONS

Common searches

The Dark Eye - Win 3.11 in DOSBox - Solved

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by FatDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Edit with solution: The Dark Eye was packaged with Quicktime 2.0.3, which doesn't seem to run it properly, at least not in a DOSBox 0.74 installation of Windows 3.11. Installing a copy of Quicktime 2.1.2 (available here) did the trick.

Original Post below:

Thanks to the terrific guide someone linked me to on this forum, I was able to get Windows 3.11 running in DOSBox 0.74, and I've successfully installed The Dark Eye and gotten it running. However, anything that is supposed to be animated is, at best, a very slow slideshow of distantly separated frames, and, at worst, no animation at all. Considering that this is essentially a graphical interactive fiction with the story told by images, monologues, dialogues, and (for the greatest impact) animation. Without the animation, and with some of the other visual elements of gameplay somewhat choppy, it's basically not worth playing right now.

I'm running a laptop with a 2.2 GHz C2D T7500 that runs one core at about 50-60% load while I play The Dark Eye through DOSBox. For DOSBox settings, I've got the CPU cycles set to max (lower settings didn't fare any better), Core to dynamic, and joystick stuff turned off. The only thing I haven't tried yet is downgrading to the bottom-level S3 video driver in the 3.11 installation, though I did try a moderate downgrade with no success. Are there any other possibilities that I might have missed, or is it possible that DOSBox itself/DOSBox on my computer is just reaching its maximum load running this particular game in Win 3.11?

Last edited by FatDragon on 2010-06-08, 05:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by FatDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion, you're right that TDE includes 2.0.3 - any idea where I can find the installer for 2.1.2.59? A quick Google search turned up nothing that I could find - I can search more deeply later, but if someone already knows of a good download repository for old-version apps, that would make things easy.

Incidentally, I tried running some of the .mov files on Quicktime directly in the Win 3.11 environment with no success, does this indicate that it is a Quicktime error, or simply that they're only intended to be used in the game itself?

Reply 3 of 9, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way:

where have you got dosbox from?
what is your Operating System?

what other most resources demanding game plays correctly for you?

post content of "DOSBox Status Window" (in Windows: right click on its title bar -> edit)
enclose your dosbox's config file

try using a cd image

Reply 4 of 9, by FatDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sweet, I managed to find it here: http://epgtech.com/updates/SRA/quicktime_link_up.html

The trouble is that I was searching for 2.1.2.59, when I should have just been searching for 2.1.2. It looks like www.oldversion.com might be a good source as well, though I couldn't tell if they were distributing a 16-bit or 32-bit version, and I believe that 3.11 can only handle 16-bit.

Anyway, this did the trick. Is there a DOSBox issue with 2.0.3? I can't imagine that they would have developed and distributed the game with a version of Quicktime that couldn't run it, though stranger things have happened...

Reply 6 of 9, by FatDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, yes - it seems to be running just fine now. A lot of the parts that I thought were lagging were parts where a video was supposed to be playing int the foreground, but the video wasn't displaying, and there seemed to be some delay at times while the game was trying to figure out what to do with an animation that Quicktime couldn't display.

However, that's based on a very short test run; if I notice significant slowdown when I get a chance to really sit down and try the game out, I'll be back. I don't know how much diagnostic help I'll be able to provide, though, as I haven't run any other games through this 3.11 in DOSBox method, so I have nothing to compare it to in order to see if my computer's up to snuff.

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

*note to myself to mention the quicktime problem in the windows guide*
if I had seen that topic first I'd have thought of quicktime as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FatDragon wrote:

Is there a DOSBox issue with 2.0.3?

I don't know if DOSBox has an issue with it. I just know that when I did my set up I looked for the most recent version reported to work with Win3.11 and have stuck with that.

Dominus wrote:

*note to myself to mention the quicktime problem in the windows guide*

Other games such as Dark Seed 2 and Hellcab still give me problems. But those were always troublesome on real hardware as well. Quantum Gate just jumps all over the place with the scene order. I might need different Quick Time versions for those as well. So 2.1.2.59 maybe isn't the perfect fix.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, on real hardware I always had problems with quicktime and the multimedia CDs and games. Mostly because the installers simply installed older versions over newer ones. I remember that with the last 16bit Quicktime most worked ok.
Just always remember to install quicktime again after a game install 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper