VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by deusfaux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nvidia has it right in the driver settings.

I want to know if I ever felt like getting an AMD card, if I could set that or not.

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No setting, but i've never ran into a extension listing overflow crash with older apps and games as far as i've seen. Vanilla GLQuake's the one to test for that, and that works on ati hd, but not on Geforce (the whole series overloads the extensions)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by deusfaux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, can you clarify?

I'm on Nvidia, and had to enable the limit for a number of games to get them to run.

I think, as you said, they were all GL Quake I and II engine based games, like GLQuake, Hexen II, GLQuake II, etc.

You're saying ATI doesn't have this control, but then it doesn't need it cuz there never is a problem running such games?

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a long time ago ATI actually shipped two OGL ICD's with their drivers and you had to manually rename them if you wanted to play any Quake 2 engine based games. Eventually they fixed the issue and combined the fix...ever since then I haven't had an issue. Been awhile since I tested tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I read somewhere that people were contacting ATI about putting the opengl extensions that are oldest in the front of the string since old games were having issues detecting extensions because of static opengl extension buffers used in the code.

Reply 5 of 7, by hungrigerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a problem with this not to long ago. I wanted to play Medal of Hono(u)r, and it kept crashing because of such an overflow.
The solution for me was to place either atioglxx.dll from ver.513 or from ver.612 and atioglx2.dll from ver.712 of their drivers into the game's directory. 😖

If you look at atiogl.xml in the drivers dir, you'll see game specific overrides, so I guess the answer to your question is 'no, they don't' 😢

Mind you, I have an old radeon 9800, and am stuck with their 'legacy' driver, so maybe this has changed with newer releases, but I have my doubts.. 😜

Call Apogee, Say "Aardwolf"!

Reply 6 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right now I think only Heretic 2 and Sin need this extension limit. There are newer ports for all the other games and they overcame this issue.