VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MaximumMayhem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greets all. As this is my maiden post, i would like to extend my hellos to all my fellow retro kine on these hallowed boards. I must also gives thanks to the creator of this place. Truly a great idea.

Here is my predicament:

I am running Windows 2000 (Gasp!), after failed attempts at getting my new system to work with Win 98.

Being the Syndicate fan i am, i recently purchased a copy of Syndicate Wars as ive wanted this title for a long time. The HOTU copy i downloaded did little to quench my thirst for this title.

Problem #1: The game wont install. I try the Install.bat and i get a little DOS window flash up briefly as if its thinking of doing something, and then it vanishes. Even in the game's primary root directory, i try the Main.exe and this time the screen goes black, i hear resolution being changed and then back to the screen im on.

Now get this.. i remembered i still had the HOTU version on my system so i go to the Main.exe and the game loads perfectly! There is no sound and the game is pretty fast (ofcourse), but yeah.. like i was on Win 98 again.

This is just too bloody strange. Any ideas?

Could the inner workings of the game have been modded to make SW 2k friendly?

Seeing as many people here have the ripped copy of the game and SW is still unfamiliar territory, id be glad to help out with file sizes or anything else regarding the original.

Finest Regards
-Steve

Reply 2 of 2, by MaximumMayhem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Snover. That's great news.

Isnt it strange how newer OS' lose many files that eliminate support for past software?

I guess if they kept it all in Windows it would be bigger and bigger.

I appreciate your time.

-Steve