VOGONS

Common searches

Logical Journey of the Zoombinis on Windows 7

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 24, by Captain_Trina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play using Windows 3.1 within DosBox. The game has installed, but it is asking for a disk, even though I have already mounted an iso of the disc to DosBox (and it shows up in File Manager). Clicking on AutoRun within File Manager gets me a quick blip of something on the screen then nothing. Tips?

Reply 23 of 24, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the game is using an old 16bit version of InstallShield, you may be able to copy over the contents of the CD into a folder on your PC, then replace the setup.exe file with the appropriate one from here http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988 and see if it then installs on 64bit.

I got a couple of games to work like that. Otherwise, install it on a 32bit machine, then copy across the game's install folder, and find the Registry strings for the game in regedit.exe and export them (they'll need tweaking to work on 64bit, with the addition of "Wow6432Node\"

For example a game I installed had this path on 32bit:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Codemasters\Race Driver]

Which then needed changing to this to work on 64bit:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Codemasters\Race Driver]

If you're not familiar with exporting Registry strings then people on here can give you more help on that front! But for older games like You Don't Know Jack (UK edition at least) I managed to install it in the way above, without needing it's Registry strings at all!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor