VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by airways

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have setup Windows 3.1 with the S3 drivers and configured for 1024x768 with 64K colors. This always causes the screen to be tinted yellow. If I crank it down to 256 colors it looks fine but then TrueType and therefore SimTower (first game I'm trying) don't work. Everything works okay at 64K colors but it looks terrible. Any ideas?

Used these drivers: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7801769/s3drivers.zip
From Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide
"By default DOSBox emulates a S3 graphics card, for running Windows 3.x you will need to download the S3 drivers at
With these drivers you can run Windows at 1024x768 with 64k colours (large or small fonts). "

Here's my config file: http://pastebin.com/KSxMnRe1

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you should have posted in the dosbox section.
What version of Dosbox and which S3 drivers have you chosen in the setup?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 4, by airways

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh nuts I was a bit confused with the grouping. The DOSBox site doesn't link to a sub-forum...

Anyway I have DOSBox 0.74 and using the S3 drivers identified as Version="3.10" in their inf file with s3vsnd.drv, specifically set to "S3 864 1.41B5 1024x768 64K colors SF". Do you need any other bits to identify them? It's been a long time since I did much in Windows at all much less 3.1 😉

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

chose a color depth between 256 and 64k 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

btw. just thought of it, are you on OS X? Then forget it. Right now there is a bug that prevents correct colors in very high color depths in Dosbox on OS X 🙁