VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Anastase

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone 😀 I know this is a really basic question (or series of them), but I'm not sure how to install a Windows 95 game on a Vista system. I tried doing it the normal way but it told me it was unable to install a 16 bit file. I read in a few places that people were able to get Dosbox to install it for them, but they haven't answered my questions about how they made it work.

The problem is I have no earthly clue what I'm doing in Dosbox. I tried going to the FAQ and still couldn't figure it out. I have an image file I want to mount, and run it from there, but am not sure how to do that. Once I have it installed, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to run the game from within Dosbox or outside it.

Also just to let you all know I tried running all the compatibility checks for Vista one at a time and nothing worked.

If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Reply 2 of 5, by Anastase

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey DosFreak, thank you so much 😀 I'm posting an attachment of the screenshot here.

Attachments

• unsupported16bit.jpg
    Filename
    unsupported16bit.jpg
    File size
    16.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by Anastase

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Davros thanks for answering!

So I can't do this another way, I have to install another operating system just to get it to work? Hehe, yeesh. The game is Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance for my boyfriend's computer. He's had it a long time but hasn't played it in quite a while and it's on an image file.

So which other operating system would I need to install? And would I have to install it using Dosbox? This is a really nice new computer just fyi. Not even sure if I have any old o/s discs 😜 So if I would have to get another image file and install it that way it leads me back to my question of how to actually use Dosbox hehe 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you dont need dosbox
what you need is one of the following
windows 7 32bit
windows vista 32bit
windows xp 32bit
windows millenium
windows 98
windows 95

dont you know anyone who has one of those operating systems on their pc
who could do it for you

edit: after looking at the game on wiki it appears to have dos and windows versions so you could use dosbox after all (to install and play)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness