VOGONS

Common searches

How to install Windows 95 and Windows 98 on dosbox?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by MediaVistaIntel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello suite to my first topic that was closed without any valid reason, I rest my question!

I have Windows 95 C OSR 2.5 and Windows 98 and I'll not have to install dosbox so functional stable and it crashes at the second stage of installation to time of detection device that is after rebooting the first time. I said that I have seen on the internet via youtube video DOSBox "Next-Gen" showing on Windows 9x and even dosbox Windows 98 3dfx card with dosbox emulate.

If someone can not to assist because I can not find any tutorial to install Windows 9x stable so dosbox, if possible with a 3dfx card.

In advance thank you

I specify that I want to run on dosbox host bone pc Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit Service Pack 2 and Windows 7 64-bit home premium and have games that do not work under MS-DOS but Windows 9x and works very poorly on Windows XP and Vista Next, 7, and which requires direct3d or even 3dfx.
Sorry for my bad English I'm French that translates google

PS: Microsoft Virtual PC and VMware does not allow direct3d on Windows 9x, direct3d for vmware is that from Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7!

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get an old computer with Windows 9x on it then.

There is no tutorial for a "stable" 9x on DOSBox because there is no "stable" 9x on DOSBox.

Everything you need to know has already been stated in the other thread.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 12, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do you really want to go to all the hassle, there arnt that many windows games that run well in win9x but dont in later o/s 's

your more likely to come across the 16bit installer problem (with xp/vista/7 64bit) for that your best using virtuall pc to install them and copy the folder over to win7

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

do you really want to go to all the hassle, there arnt that many windows games that run well in win9x but dont in later o/s 's

If it means bragging and condescending to console people making them jealous by showing off my superiority by running a unstable Win95 on a hacked Wii in an unorthodox way by a emulator that doesn't really support that (ignorant of qemu, bochs, vmware and everything else) just to rack up all the attention visits on Youtube helped by the brainless news journalists on Kotaku, then maybe

I don't get the motivation to Win95 in DOSBox, it's horribly unstable and you don't even get a CD-ROM device to play the majority of the games released for Win95.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't get the motivation to Win95 in DOSBox, it's horribly unstable and you don't even get a CD-ROM device to play the majority of the games released for Win95.

For me I'd love to get it stable on Dosbox with CD-Rom support, since Dosbox has superb hardware support and is quite fast 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

For me I'd love to get it stable on Dosbox with CD-Rom support, since Dosbox has superb hardware support and is quite fast 😀

Maybe I'm missing something butteh...have you ever considered installing 9x on Virtual PC?

Edit: I missed the part about hardware support. Hardware support in VPC isn't one of it's strong points, but atleast it'll support a cdrom 😉

Reply 7 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
robertmo wrote:
leileilol wrote:

you don't even get a CD-ROM device to play the majority of the games released for Win95.

You can install daemon tools in dosbox.

Yes but with default dosbox imgmount image being limited to 500something MB that is not much of help... 🙁

Reply 9 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most 9x games work fine on even 7 x64. The biggest issue I run into is typically old 16-bit installers. 3D 9x games won't work correctly in any emulator, not even the ones with the very basic 3D support.

I'm not sure if Virtualbox will run 9x, but it will run XP and that wil cover almost every 9x 2D game ever made. This gets Linux and Mac people their Windows that they ran away from.