VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!!!

For nostalgia reasons I decided to buy Motoracer from DOTEMU.com ( http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/281/moto-racer ) , the thought of being able to run it in my current system was just great so I bit the bullet... how hard can it be to improve compatibility for a D3D old game?
VERY HARD it seems.
first of all they have a launcher of some kind that changes screen color to 16bit so the game can run. It works OK. The audio tracks are just .wav files on the game's directory, they work fine too! D3D mode works fine in menus except the game itself! Using a 260GTX or a 9800GT the game complains when in race-mode that there is not enough texture memory and software mode is used. I found that if you just take out the 9800 and put a 8800GTX in it's place without changing anything else the game works fine in D3D mode... wth???!!!
Normally software mode would not bother me (since the game is just using the DX3 interfaces) but the software mode has terrible slowdown when smoke/dirt gets rendered and it becomes unplayable... You can lower the details way down to make it a flat-shaded game 😵 but that is not really that good...
DOTEMU support is as silent as a dead rat btw, 1 weak after and 2 messages and still not a sign of response...
Maybe someone here has a similar prob in some other game? Maybe some driver hack is needed? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds more like an Nvidia issue.

Using 16bit and software mode always worked fine for me on Intel graphics cards. Can't remember if I ever tried it on an Nvidia one.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i reckon the game is querying gfx ram finding an amount that is way higher than expected and it cant deal with it

dont suppose you hve xp and a voodoo card lying around ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah I do have it installed on my p3/v5500 setup 😀 but the whole point getting it again from dotemu was to have it running on my modern pc's.... I guess them made a crap-patch for the game, the 8800GTX that runs it OK has 768MB of vram ... also yesterday I migrated to X64 win7pro and guess what: it still does not work under x64 after a format and brand new 64bit drivers... 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the dotemu version already has this patch, and 99% if I install it on top it will just break the game...
on my win7/32bit + 8800GTX the game runs OK, the menus are OK too btw..