VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by amedeus8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cranky old 64-bit Windows has a lot of trouble running heaps of my old games. I got the Sierra ones squared away (for the mostpart) with the help of the SHP forums, but two are still giving me a ton of trouble. Gazillionaire and The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time.

Journeyman Project will let me open the autorun screen, but then once I click on Install, nothing happens. It closes like it's going to bring up an installer, and then never does.

Gazillionaire won't even bring up the autorun. Much like the Sierra games were doing, it gives me an error message about not knowing whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit, but whichever it is, it needs to cut it out. I can't run it from DOSBox either, since it's Windows (thought I'd give it a shot anyways, though). Anyone have any luck with these?

Reply 1 of 3, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

they could be 16bit installers 16bit programs do not work under a 64bit o/s
you need to install a 32bit o/s using virtual pc or similar and copy the folder over to you win7 pc

ps journeyman

Windows 95 required
(works with Windows98 with audio acceleration turned off)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 3, by amedeus8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll give that a shot. I know Journeyman worked on XP for me, but I guess Vista and 7 are probably out.

When you say, copy the folder to 7, do you mean actually copy the installed game from the virtual PC to my regular PC? I only ask because I figure the game would still be 16-bit and not work, but I'm probably just missing something here. I'll give it a go either way.

"I have no idea what I am doing but I do know that I say things that you don't understand and if you do understand what I am doing then you are wrong." -Han Hoogerbrugge

Reply 3 of 3, by amedeus8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh wait, no yeah, I get it, duh. 16-bit installer, 32-bit game. I missed that the first time.

"I have no idea what I am doing but I do know that I say things that you don't understand and if you do understand what I am doing then you are wrong." -Han Hoogerbrugge