VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

how possible is this?

I tried some software called magic iso which seemed pretty good but I am unable to assign a letter to the virtual drive.

Reply 2 of 8, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was just about to ask this same question! Glad I looked first.

Don't you have to pay for Daemon Tools though? Or is this the "Lite" (freeware) version?

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked. I'm experimenting now to see how I can play multi-CD games (such as Riven) directly from the ISOs, as to not wear out my CDROM drive.

Reply 3 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Davros is 101% correct, I use DT for years and the 3.47 version works perfectly with win98... you don't need to try anything else 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EdmondDantes wrote:

I'm experimenting now to see how I can play multi-CD games (such as Riven) directly from the ISOs, as to not wear out my CDROM drive.

I reckon a lot of popular games might have hacks developed for them already. Googling <riven nocd> brings up several relevant pages.

But quite frankly CD-ROM drives are dirt cheap and quite easy to find and replace, even if they do "wear out" - and I'm not familiar with that being much of a problem.

Reply 6 of 8, by EmuLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pay Software:
I know the OP may have figured out what he wants, but I figure I'd mention that Alcohol 52/120% version '1.9.5.3105' was the last supported by Windows 98/ME. It's worth it considering the archaic nature of Win9x support anymore. I'd use the registered version of ISOBuster for image ripping.

Free Software:
Assuming you have a working version of DAEMON Tools, you could use ISOBuster (limited capability), and IMGBurn for ripping real/virtual discs. You can also use IMGBurn for burning, and building images from scratch.

Reply 7 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only slight trouble with DT 3.47 is - if you use mds format, you can't be sure you mount this image w/o troubles. Structures of mds were changed several times, so - AFAIR any mds from 2.x version is not DT3.47-comparatible. Ccd/img/sub or .cue/.bin is the way. 😀 Or just mount mdf (mount/all files/.mdf).
For dumping I use Alcohol 52% 2.x FE - freeware, many formats supported. But - not WinME comparatible... 🙁

Reply 8 of 8, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends on if you want to run games with securom/tages/starforce or not. DT 3.47 can handle any mdf/mds I have thrown at it which were made with alcohol. It's not compatible with the newest DT version which is a packed mds file. Other than that I use IsoBuster or CloneCD (SafeDisc) to make images of most games that don't have audio tracks. If they do I use redump method of IsoBuster and EAC to make the best quality image I can, then use CDMage to make a single image of the multiple files.

Some protections black list the virtual drive (Securom), but you can use YASU or other tools to cloak the drives from this.