VOGONS

Common searches

Pandemonium 2 on Win7x64?

Topic actions

First post, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, why I'm bothering I don't know, but I'm trying to install Pandemonium 2 on Win7x64. Or, rather, RE-install it. I had it running before, I took screenshots to prove it. But then my damn laptop reverted back to factory settings (avoid games with StarFrorce DRM!), and now I cannot re-install Pandy2. There are 2 exe files on the CD, SETUP.EXE and P2PLAY.EXE, I tried both. At first it said I had no SDL.dll on my system. I found 4 of them in game install directories, and copied one into Windows. After that, it just says 'The Application was unable to start correctly"

There is another thread about installing this, but it's from 2006, and, clearly, doesn't involve Win7. And, yes, I've tried all the Compatibility Modes.

It worked before, why won't it work now?

Reply 1 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, I'm thinking maybe this time round I haven't installed something I had before - I'm not reinstalling all the same software, and certainly not in the same order! Maybe some sort of emulation patch.

Reply 3 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, but I found a copy of SDL.dll, after that I still get the 'This application was unable to start correctly' error.

Clearly, it worked before, and I don't remember doing anything special to install it.

Reply 6 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On further investigation, it does seem to be a problem with SDL.dll - I've found that the error AFTER I put a copy of SDL.dll into Windows is a dll initialisation failure (0xc0000142). Further, I've found that Win7x64 can put dlls into either Windows\System32 or into Windows\SysWOW64

Neither works. At some time before I last loaded this game up, a working copy of SDL.dll must have been installed to my system. Now I can't find one.

Reply 8 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have 4 copies from different games, plus 2 versions downloaded from the official SDL site. From what I read online, I may need my Registry repaired. But as it's only currently affecting one (not very good) game, I'm leaving it.

Thanks for the assist, folks, but false alarm, it's a PC problem, not a game problem...

Reply 9 of 32, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

perhaps the dll needs registering ?

start
run
cmd
regsvr32 path & filename of dll

(thats for xp may be slightly different on win7 x64)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... "The module "C:\windows\sdl.dll" was located but the entry-point DIIIRegisterServer was not found."

maybe there's a different way to do it in Windows 7 64-bit.

But, damnit, it worked before without all this! Thanks again...

EDIT: I found different ways, and locations, to register dlls in Win7, but they didn't work.

Reply 11 of 32, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you usually get that entry point error when its the wrong version
but heres the strange thing I cannot imagine an install program needing sdl.dll ?

Last edited by Davros on 2010-09-04, 20:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 32, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

still cant imagine setup.exe needing sdl seems really strange as its not a standard windows component

edit : there is something very wrong here pandemonium 2 was released in 1997
sdl was not created untill 1998

Reply 15 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, yes, that's really strange...
EDIT: It also says "Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem" - now, given that I'm running a Setup program off a CD, that's a strange message - maybe the Setup program is trying to run something else it shouldn't be...

Reply 17 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, tried that, same result.

Thank you for continuing to help, although I think you may be as annoyed by this as I am now! I've decided not to be annoyed by it for a bit, I have plenty of other games, ones that work.

Reply 18 of 32, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

there is something very wrong here pandemonium 2 was released in 1997
sdl was not created untill 1998

Could it be that he is trying to run a non-PC version in an emulator and that it is the emulator that wants SDL?

Reply 19 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is a PC version - it worked last month before my Laptop reset itself to factory settings, and I had to start from scratch (by the way, avoid any games with StarForce DRM if you have Win7x64...).

I do agree with the implication that it's a problem in my laptop though, not one with the game.