VOGONS

Common searches

Pandemonium 2 on Win7x64?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This might or might not be relevant... Having read about a completely different problem with a completely different game, I attempted to download & install the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer", in the hope there was something relevant to older DirectX versions missing from my laptop. Attempting to install, however, I get an error - "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled, and the cabinet file certificate is valid."

Cryptographic services ARE started (and restarted), but I don't know which cab file it's talking about, where it might be, or what to do about it!

EDIT: Cancel all of that - I realised the cab file it's talking about was one it was trying to download, so instead of using the web installer I found the downloadable redistribution file, and (after considerable hassle...) installed it - but no joy, same error!

Reply 22 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GOT IT!...

...well, sort of... On the CD I found a file actually telling me which files to copy to the hard drive, and what to rename them! I also copied SDL.dll to the same folder. Unfortunately, it still wouldn't run, it couldn't find the CD... But I found a no-CD crack (amazing what's still hanging around on the internet...), and now it runs!

...in a non-resizeable 640x480 window called "SDL_app"...

It does run though, and it does use SDL, evidently...

EDIT: False alarm... When it starts up, it opens two windows, one black & blank called "Pandemonium 2", and the actual game screen called "SDL_app"... but I'm on Windows 7, with the little preview windows on the task bar, and when I lost focus on the game window I couldn't get it back, so I went to the task bar... and discovered the little preview window was running the game, but the actual game screen wasn't moving! I can't reproduce that though, not sure how I got there. But very hard to play anyway.

Last edited by Wulf on 2010-09-07, 21:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That proved a bit difficult, most of my screencap software would only capture the game window. However, here it is:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/802831/wulf-corbett

It's not working there, of course, as I've lost the focus on the game window again by using alt-Tab

EDIT: by the way, I tried running it in Compatibility mode at 640x480, but it displayed a 640x480 screen somewhere in the middle with neither screen centred! As I can't seem to move or resize either screen, that was a bit useless...

Reply 25 of 32, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you should use fraps or hypersnap

ps: why are you using alt-tab to take a screenshot
pps: why have you got so many windows open when playing a game

cant you run it full screen ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 26 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FRAPS is running - you can see the framecount at the top left of the active screen. Hypersnap is running too - but both either snapped the active window only, or the desktop with no active display (overlay).
I used Alt-Tab so you could see the title on the second window - the one marked 'Pandemonium 2'.
That's not a lot of windows, I usually have a dozen or more! I have tried it with nothing else open though. Most of the icons on the start bar are quickstart icons, not open programs.
I can't change the window size - I can't even grap the title bar to relocate it! The Pandemonium 2 window has no resize icons at all, and the SDL-app has a greyed-out maximise button, not that I can get the cursor to connect with the bar anyway.

Reply 27 of 32, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have it (and Pandemonium original) installed on my Win7-64 box right now working fine.

All I did was use a glide wrapper and mount the ISO in Daemon Tools (on demand from a batch file so it's only loaded when needed).

iirc I used dgVoodoo.

Edit:

Since after reading some of the lower posts (sorry I'm lazy) I saw talk of screenshots and such, I figured I'd make a full screencapped video of it.

When running a game at such a low resolution the screencap program still sees a 1920x1200 (my normal res) screen and puts the image in the top left. I zoom/panned to it using editing software. Also note that the spinning blue cursor isn't on top of the game while actually playing it - only in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOaH6nOpeow

Reply 28 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is thread necromancy, but I thought I'd give it closure - my hard drive died (failed quick DST), and was replaced on warranty by HP. When I reloaded Pandy2 again, it worked straight off with no messing around!

SO, like I thought, something was indeed missing last time around...

Reply 29 of 32, by didado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try this and it works haha

http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

Nglide is a 3dfx glide wrapper (you get an extra emulated 3dfx card in your system..)
Which helps you getting to play Pandemonium 2 on glide under win7 64..

This one is still being worked on and is already the best of all glide wrappers..

Have fun and look @ the compatibility list for more.. 🤣 😉

Reply 30 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems I've already installed that (the file is already in my download directory), which explains why the game worked 🤣 As I suspected, it's all a matter of what order I did things in.

...hmm... says it can run Heavy Gear...

EDIT: it can run Heavy Gear, but the animations are all WAY too fast - but the game seems to be running at the right speed!

Reply 32 of 32, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, didn't notice any difference. Instead of going

Stomp Stomp Stomp Stomp

it goes StompStompStompStomp - but the voices are fine, in synch with the action, and the actual speed across the ground looks right. Anyway, it's a subject for another thread...

Thanks though!