VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any working to support Direct 3D in Win9x guests in virtual machines, or emulators? I think there are still significant number of Win9x games which will not work well in WinXP.

Reply 5 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You were asking about emulators or virtual machines supporting direct3d (with windows 9x as host - you can set wine to windows 9x). I answered that.
You never specified the host, nor which games, nor that it has to be better than XP. Please give a link to the games you think that work not well. You can then look them up in wines compatibility database to see whether the games work better or not.
I found ultima 9 to work betterin wine than on windows9x, not so sure about xp, for example...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the best environment for Wine, anyway? I know you can install it in practically any distribution, but it would be swell if there was a tiny version of Linux specifically designed for nothing more than the execution of Wine without requiring all the other constant configuration and re-re-reconfiguration of Linux.

(And of course there's Crossover Games.)

Reply 7 of 14, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally I've, for the moment, given up on Virtual Machines because of this very issue.

But, I wouldn't worry about it too much. By the time my old computer breaks down for good, somebody will have figured things out and made a Win9x virtualizer with an eye towards gaming. I give it about five years.

Reply 8 of 14, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, it might be a fun project to make d3d7 (or prior) wrapper that uses opengl for output..

Shouldn't be impossible.

On the other hand, I don't have any games that would require that.

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 9 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's pretty much what WineD3D does. (I don't think it really helps in a virtual machine, though, because OpenGL isn't available to Win9x clients either.)

By the way, what about SwiftShader? That came up a couple of times and I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Reply 12 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

swiftshader is dx8/9 possibly 7
a q6600 will run ut2004, small level, 1 bot, 1680x1050 at 7fps

But since it's a software renderer, the CPU ought to matter much more than the GPU, no?