VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DBV1K1NG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dosfreak, I have been reading alot of your posts and this is the first one I found that I could reply to you on. My question or problem is simple in that all I want to do is find out if there is a way to get the game....( Tom Clancy's SSN ) made in 1998 to work on Vista ? I have posted this question on many forums including Widows but Im not having much luck. Windows replied with the compatibility mode ploy, hasnt worked, I also downloaded VDM sound as one suggetsed didnt work and then I found out VDM sound doesnt even work on Vista. The game plays the movie at the start then locks up. I have set the comp. mode to Windows 98 and I played this game on my old PC that had Windows ME. I am not a big gammer but I really liked this one game and dearly would just like play this one game again. Quite frankly... most or the things I have read here I dont even understand but there is a CO. here called PC GURUS that I can have come out and do things like install DOSBOX but I would like to know if this game will work somehow before I pay them. I can even buy the game at ebay and send it to you if you think you can get it to work on Vista .... many thanks for your time ! ... Dale

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe that's just a Windows game so VDMSound\DOSBox do not apply.

Post a screenshot of the error.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by DBV1K1NG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks for the reply... when you say windows game I take it that you mean it is a game that came with windows ? I bought this game at a pc software store and if I recall the game was very popular at the time, below is the game info. As far as an error message I dont get one, there is a short movie at the start of the game and it plays in full screen just fine , but when the movie is over the game just quits... pooof ! I was told at another forum it was a VDM sound problem and they had a link so I downloaded it but it still didnt work that I read later that the VDM sound doesnt work with Vista. Let me know if you need more info,... thanks again

Tom Clancy's SSN
Developer(s) Clancy Interactive Entertainment
Publisher(s) Simon & Schuster Interactive
Platform(s) PC
Release date(s) 1996
Genre(s) Simulation
Mode(s) Single-player
Media CDROM

Attachments

• 252px-SSN_Game.jpg
    Filename
    252px-SSN_Game.jpg
    File size
    12.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I mean that it is a game designed for Windows not for MS-DOS.

VDMSound is only for MS-DOS games.

It looks like on XP there are some workarounds, for instance here: http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/clancy.htm

Since you are using Windows Vista then likely your only options are to play the game on an old computer or run the game in emulation (Virtual PC,VirtualBox,Vmware) (which is probably more work than you are willing to do).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by DBV1K1NG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok then I understand, cant figure why others told me the VDM sound was the problem after I explained I had SSN trying to play on Vista... Idiots ! thanks so much for your help. When you have time tell me more about this...emulation (Virtual PC,VirtualBox,Vmware) I may pay to have one of these local PC expets do it if you sure it would work. thanks again ! Oh ... almost forgot, why doent the so called comp. mode fix this mess, what good is it ? 🤣 Im just your average pc user but I Im trying to learn ....

Reply 5 of 7, by DBV1K1NG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey , thought I might show you a reply I got on the FIXYA forum that I mentioned regarding VDM sound , he says nothing about MS-DOS as I read it unless I missed something .🤣... he explains the reason the game crashes after the movie is due to an audio problem so I just wanted to see if what he is saying below makes any sense to you or is he full of crapola ? Also...can you suggest any games that are every close to SSN that will work on Vista or where I can find out ? I think that appears to be my best option. thanks again for your help... Seriously !

noclue10
Rating: 75%, 2 Votes

its your lucky day.

first, set up the desktop shortcut (properties) so it's set to run in compatibility mode for 98, XP, 95, i dont think it'll make a difference. i set it to run in XP because that's what i have.

next, you need to download and extract (zipped) a program called VDM sound. ----> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

the reason the game quits after the opening movie is because it needs to run w/ a 16 bit modulator,which is what VDM is. the persistent crash is an audio problem.

after you install VDM (it doesn't matter where you save it to) you can then right-click on the SSN icon to choose the "run with VDMS" and voila! problem solved!

hope this fixes it for 'ya!

Reply 6 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DBV1K1NG wrote:

noclue10

....Yeah.

Try running dxdiag then turning off sound acceleration. It uses DirectX 3, so obviously that blind stock DOS game support response advice he gave you (which had blind votes for) do not apply not to mention the choice of OS (Vista) is even less relevant for outdated VDMSound advice.

Does vista even let you disable audio accelleration? I forget...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 7, by tong298

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks for the reply... when you say windows game I take it that you mean it is a game that came with windows ? I bought this game at a pc software store and if I recall the game was very popular at the time, below is the game info. As far as an error message I dont get one, there is a short movie at the start of the game and it plays in full screen just fine , but when the movie is over the game just quits... pooof ! I was told at another forum it was a VDM sound problem and they had a link so I downloaded it but it still didnt work that I read later that the VDM sound doesnt work with Vista. Let me know if you need more info,... thanks again

Hey , thought I might show you a reply I got on the FIXYA forum that I mentioned regarding VDM sound , he says nothing about MS-DOS as I read it unless I missed something .... he explains the reason the game crashes after the movie is due to an audio problem so I just wanted to see if what he is saying below makes any sense to you or is he full of crapola ? Also...can you suggest any games that are every close to SSN that will work on Vista or where I can find out ? I think that appears to be my best option. thanks again for your help... Seriously !

Christian Louboutin
Cheap Moncler Jackets
Christian Louboutin Shoes