VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so maybe a no-cd issue isn't quite in keeping with this forum, but here's my problem... I have Re-Volt, the radio-control car racing game. I can get it to work fine in my Win7x64 laptop no problem, in version 1.1 (1.0 can't find the CD, for some reason)... but every no-cd patch I try to apply leaves me with no sound at all. Naturally, I expect to lose the CD music, but I get no sound effects either. The patches seem to work otherwise, and I've tried 3-4 of them...

The annoying thing is, it worked fine before, but my laptop Hard Drive failed & was replaced (under warranty) by HP, and now I can't figure it out! I can still play the game, of course, but Re-Volt was one of the games I liked having to hand to actually play on my lap to fill a few spare moments - having to look for a CD is a nuisance.

Any ideas?

Reply 3 of 5, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Turns out I was wrong - I DO have sound, but really really quiet... It's fine in every other game, in Windows, and even in this game without the no-CD patches - all of them make the sound really quiet. Even then, the track editor is fine with normal sound!

So now my problem becomes, what's making this game so quiet?

Reply 4 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try checking Windows 7's audio mixer, it has per application volume levels and sometimes has some random errors. Re-Volt must be running, so hope it supports alt-tab... IIRC Re-Volt 1.0 doesn't work in Windows 7 so that wouldn't have helped you any regardless.

Also you shouldn't expect to not get CD audio, there's very few games that can't be convinced to run with CD audio and Re-Volt isn't one of them.

Reply 5 of 5, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Try checking Windows 7's audio mixer, it has per application volume levels and sometimes has some random errors

THAT'S IT! Thank you! Never saw that effect before...

Also you shouldn't expect to not get CD audio, there's very few games that can't be convinced to run with CD audio and Re-Volt isn't one of them.

Well, I meant that as I was running a no-cd patch I didn't have a CD in the drive!