VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just got this game and was going to play it on my Win98 + Voodoo5 box. I've found that it won't run in 32-bit color mode. It crashes as it's loading a level. So I have to use software rendering or 16-bit color hardware mode.

I can't believe it doesn't work on a Voodoo5! 😁 I tried using the Razael drivers too but same thing. Has anyone here used a Voodoo5 with this game?

Reply 2 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It only allows me to choose Direct3D 6. I have DirectX 8.1 installed and even the official 3dfx drivers support DirectX 7. I don't know if the game uses T&L but I strongly doubt it because of the cards it targets (TNT2 / G400).

Yeah I installed that patch. It fixes Voodoo3 support and some other things. I can run the Voodoo5 in 16-bit color depth but it looks terrible. I think this is why Voodoo3 wasn't initially supported. The 16-bit color depth is completely inadequate for this game.

If I choose 32-bit color the game crashes when it's loading a level.

Reply 6 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I decided to just go simple and try dropping in the Blair Witch tridx7.dll and renaming it to tridx6.dll. Since the game only wants to let me see DirectX 6 mode I thought I'd try outsmarting it.

And now the Voodoo5 works with 32-bit color. 😁

tridx7.dll from here (also attached to post)
http://www.fileplanet.com/51226/50000/fileinf … me-2-Demo-patch

Attachments

• Filename
    tridx7.zip
    File size
    45.38 KiB
    Downloads
    337 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice tip swaaye, gonna test with my v5/98se machine too 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can run 2X FSAA too but 4X gives some Z-buffer error. I think it runs out of video memory for some reason, even at only 800x600.

The game looks pretty good. I wish my old CRT had more contrast capabilities. It's getting to be a little dim even in a dark room for games like this.