VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VGCodemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get a lot of windows 3.1 games to run through DosBox but to no avail. (Games that will not run in windows xp compatability mode and many don't like windows 95 either)

I can boot up into windows 3.1.1 for workgroups fine, I can browse the CD and run the setup and install the games. Then when I click the link I almost always get a message about not being able to find the cd even though I can browse the cd's files!

This happens with Lunicus and Meet Mediaband so far.
Also I seem to get frequent PROGMAN kernl crashes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know about that, but I always copy the entire CD to a subfolder under your DOSBOX - WINDOWS directory and then make sure when you load DOSBOX you identify that folder as the CD Drive ... e.g. "d: c:\DOSBOX\CD -t cdrom"

You may also need to add some other tags as well.

I run a few Windows 3.11 games, but not any with CDs so that is my best advice. Hope it helps.

Reply 2 of 4, by VGCodemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried exactly what you just said and I still get the message that it cannot find the cd rom for both of those games. Also, after the error if I click file and browse in windows 3.1 it's an automatic progman crash.

If I attempt to use browse to run the exe files directly it is also an automatic kernel crash as well.

Reply 4 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested with Achtung: Spitfire - the game works only with IMGMOUNT command.
So, try to make cd-image and to use imgmount.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).