VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muppeteer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I've been trying to play Muppet Treasure Island on Windows Vista (32 bit). The first time the game runs, it's fine, up until a bit where you have to drag a sponge around to clean up some molasses from the screen. Here, it crashes. You can avoid it crashing by not holding the mouse down for long amounts of time, i.e. by dragging the sponge a little bit at a time.

The problem, though, is that when it crashed the first time I played the game, it appears to have damaged or broken the game's audio drivers, since there is absolutely no sound. What I want to do is uninstall/reinstall the drivers, to see if that gets the audio back for me, but I haven't got a clue how to do that. The drivers are not uninstalled with the game, and don't have an uninstall program I can use.

The drivers installed are:
INDEO VIDEO INTERACTIVE R4.1
INDEO VIDEO R3.2
INDEO VIDEO RAW YVU9

Does anyone know a way I can delete these from my system, so I can install fresh copies?

Thanks.

EDIT: Any help at all would be great. I'm planning to have a working version of this game running by Christmas, as a present to my friend. She associates this game with everything good about being a child.

Reply 2 of 5, by Muppeteer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, that should have worked, but didn't. I don't understand what the problem is, in this case. The game ran fine the first time, up until the part where you have to clean off the screen. It crashed here, and then refuses to have any sound whatsoever. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and the same now with the drivers the game installs. What else can I try to fix this? Any suggestions?

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps you were running it with Administrator privileges after the first time you installed it, and have subsequently been running it as a regular user? The game might consequently be crashing if it's trying to write to a directory that it doesn't have permission to access, for instance.

Reply 4 of 5, by Muppeteer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just tried running as administrator and no luck. I've also tried running in compatibility mode(s), but honestly I can't see what would change between the first time I ran the game (without compatibility mode) and other runs.

What must be the problem is that some file peculiar to this game was damaged when the game crashed, and it isn't deleted on an uninstall of the either the drivers or the game. I can't figure out what this is, though, nor how to fix it.

Reply 5 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muppeteer wrote:

What must be the problem is that some file peculiar to this game was damaged when the game crashed, and it isn't deleted on an uninstall of the either the drivers or the game. I can't figure out what this is, though, nor how to fix it.

That really sounds pretty unlikely.

If you really think it's some particular file access problem, Process Monitor from http://www.sysinternals.com should let you see what the program might be trying to access when it crashes.