VOGONS

Common searches

Deathtrap Dungeon

Topic actions

First post, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am currently playing Deathtrap Dungeon by EIDOS. It's a fab game that was developed around the same time as the first Tomb Raider. It shares a similar control mechanism and 3rd person perspective view. It got delayed and didn't come out until 1998 though, whereas Tomb Raider was 1996.

It has specific support for 3dfx cards (Glide) and runs nicely with the nGlide wrapper. I find the graphics sharper with Glide as opposed to Direct3D.

Anyway, although it runs well it does not play the music which is audio tracks on the CD. I am running it on Windows 7 64-bit, so it's a miracle that it works at all seeing as it was designed for Windows 95!

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the CD audio working, other than running it on Win95/98?

Reply 1 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

did you try using the 1st cd/dvd drive? many old games need to be on the first optical drive to play music...

I have this game since it was new , bought it with excitement only to find later that it runs crappy 😜 in my pc... I had a voodoo2 IIRC but still gameplay was not that good... time to try it again I think 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you have this game's CD audio working OK before, prior to using it with W7? If no, have you tried to play the music tracks on the CD using a CD player (as in a Hi-Fi), or just using a software based music player (eg WinAmp)? If yes, and you cannot locate/hear the tracks, the CD may be a pirate copy. The only reason I say this is because this happened to me, twice in fact, when I bought 3 copies of "Mysteries of the Sith", the 3rd copy finally having the audio tracks on the CD-ROM.

Reply 3 of 22, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

did you try using the 1st cd/dvd drive? many old games need to be on the first optical drive to play music...

Yes, I have the CD in the 1st (only) optical drive.

I have this game since it was new , bought it with excitement only to find later that it runs crappy in my pc... I had a voodoo2 IIRC but still gameplay was not that good... time to try it again I think

I would recommend revisiting it. As with Tomb Raider, you need to take some time to learn and get used to the controls and camera angles, but once you do it's worth it.

You have to be a bit more strategic than with Tomb Raider as you can only save in certain places. Some save points even cost you coins to use. It's a bit like having to collect Save Crystals in the PS1 version of Tomb Raider. IMO, the PC version of Tomb Raider is a LOT easier as you can save at any point of the game.

Did you have this game's CD audio working OK before, prior to using it with W7? If no, have you tried to play the music tracks on the CD using a CD player (as in a Hi-Fi), or just using a software based music player (eg WinAmp)?

I have only ever used the game with Windows 7 - I bought it the other day from a charity shop for £1 😀 I'm not at home and only have my laptop with me. The audio tracks do work though - I can play them in Windows Media Player.

Reply 4 of 22, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the analogue output from the CD/DVD drive plugged in? Do you get any drive activity when the music should be playing?

(ah, just read the laptop part - ignore the first part of my post then!)

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5 of 22, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the analogue output from the CD/DVD drive plugged in? Do you get any drive activity when the music should be playing?

(ah, just read the laptop part - ignore the first part of my post then!)

No, there's no drive activity. I guess there's something different about the way it tells the drive to start playing audio that just doesn't work on Win7. If there'd been drive activity I would have said that yes the problem was due to it being a laptop and not having an analogue sound connection.

At least I get sound effects - I've seen posts from Win XP users saying they get no sound whatsoever.

Reply 7 of 22, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this a job for _inmm.dll?

That looks interesting. I especially like the idea of having the audio tracks stored in MP3 format on the HDD. As the audio wasn't playing, I already patched the game so I don't have to play with the CD in the drive of my laptop (using W32dsm87 to disassemble and a hex editor to change the EXE, since none of the ready made patches worked with my version which seems to have a unique [maybe UK only?] version of the game EXE and main DLL).

Actually thinking about it, that may pose a problem for _inmm.dll because the game EXE is only 28Kb and calls a function in a DLL file to run the actual game. Hopefully I can point this thing at the DLL file and patch that....

I'll give it a go and report back.

Reply 8 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AustinRover , did you find any kind of update for the game? (I searched and found nothing btw...)
I installed it on my win7pro/X64 machine with a 2GB GTX285 + E8500 and it works fine! Amazing if you ask me 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

by update I mean from v1.0 to 1.1 for example... no cda does not work for me too, but I still find amazing the fact that all other things work on a 64bit win setup...
I did try some of the no-cd patches too, but they where dos stuff that an 64bit system cannot run... 😵
How do you ckeck US/UK versions on this game? I have the one that was sold in Greece, it even came with a translated manual 😵

Last edited by keropi on 2010-12-20, 17:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 22, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are results of testing with _inmm.dll. I have no prior experience with this tool so I don't know if I did something wrong, which is why I'm posting the whole thing here.

To cut a long story short, it doesn't work because the game doesn't import from WINMM.DLL. I suspect the game is using its own functions (probably from WINPLAY.DLL in the game directory) to play the CD audio.

Here's how I tested:

Downloaded _inmm238.zip from http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/8282/

Copied _inmm.dll to c:\windows\system32

Extracted the other files to c:\games\inmm

(I used the ZIP rather than the auto-installer as I like to know what files are going where)

Created a new string value "InstallPath" populated with c:\games\deathtrap under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive\Deathtrap Dungeon
in the registry.

Added the following to _inmmcnf.ini:
[Deathtrap Dungeon]
Group=EIDOS Interactive
RegKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive\Deathtrap Dungeon
Value=InstallPath
File=DUNGEON.DLL
Message=My Deathtrap Dungeon

Ripped the CD audio as MP3s to c:\games\deathtrap\cdaudio

Files are named "01 Track 1.mp3" ... "15 Track 15.mp3"

Ran _inmmcnf.exe

On _inmm.ini tab, clicked Add and selected the 15 tracks
Saved changes to c:\games\inmm\inmm.ini

Went to Patch tab and selected EIDOS Interactive and Deathtrap Dungeon (that I'd added to the _inmmcnf.ini)

Clicked on the patch button.

Despite my new registry key it said "Information not found" and prompted for the directory where Deathtrap Dungeon is installed, so I manually selected it.

It correctly picked up DUNGEON.DLL as the target file though.

I pressed OK but it said DUNGEON.DLL: no imports from WINMM.DLL.

Looked in the game directory and found WINPLAY.DLL and WINSDEC.DLL

Tried those also but again no imports from WINMM.DLL

Reply 12 of 22, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

by update I mean from v1.0 to 1.1 for example... no cda does not work for me too, but I still find amazing the fact that all other things work on a 64bit win setup...

No I don't think there are any updates for it. At least I didn't find any either.

It is pretty amazing that the game works after so many new Windows/DirectX versions. Have you tried running it with a Glide wrapper? I find the graphics sharper, as when using Direct3D it anti-aliases so that you can't read the tiny numbers that tell you how many spells etc you've got.

I did try some of the no-cd patches too, but they where dos stuff that an 64bit system cannot run... Dead

I ran them in the DOSBox emulator, but as I said they didn't work on my version of the game so I had to patch myself.

Reply 13 of 22, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do you ckeck US/UK versions on this game? I have the one that was sold in Greece, it even came with a translated manual

Looking at the installer on my CD it supports a bunch of languages. Have a look on your CD and see if you have a LANG.DAT file. Mine contains numerous languages and at the top it has:

[Info]
Name=INTL
Version=1.00.000

Maybe I have an "international" version of the game, but it could just be related to the InstallShield installer rather than the game itself.

Reply 14 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AustinRover wrote:

Here are results of testing with _inmm.dll. I have no prior experience with this tool so I don't know if I did something wrong, which is why I'm posting the whole thing here.

To cut a long story short, it doesn't work because the game doesn't import from WINMM.DLL. I suspect the game is using its own functions (probably from WINPLAY.DLL in the game directory) to play the CD audio.

The easiest way to be sure would be to use Process Monitor from sysinternals.com and watch the files the game tries to access when it executes. Maybe WINPLAY.DLL tries to call WINMM.DLL ?

(There's probably a much more elegant technique for tracking something specific like this, but ProcMon will get the job done.)

Also, Googling <winplay.dll xp> brings up quite a few interesting-looking his, including something on the Eidos forums.

Reply 15 of 22, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried pointing inmm at WINPLAY.DLL but it said that didn't import from WINMM.DLL.

I think actually WINPLAY.DLL is one of the libraries that does the FMV playback. It looks like it's used in some Tomb Raider games too.

Reply 16 of 22, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just my 2 cents:
winmm.dll is called by ddstart.exe, if you get this game working with _inmm.dll, please post here 😉

*Update* Dependency walker lists ddstart.exe as importing from winmm.dll, but inmm won't work with it 🙁

Reply 18 of 22, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I did find a way to make it work.
Here's the entry for the _inmmcnf.ini

x64:

[Deathtrap Dungeon]
Group=Eidos
RegKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Eidos Interactive\Deathtrap Dungeon
Value=Path
File=mss32.dll

x32 (most likely, I don't have one to test 😜):

[Deathtrap Dungeon]
Group=Eidos
RegKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive\Deathtrap Dungeon
Value=Path
File=mss32.dll

You can probably benefit from reading this, too: http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=6951

Enjoy 😀

Reply 19 of 22, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "no music" trouble is Xp only.
The game set CDA channel volume to 0 at the start.
You can resolve this with this.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).