Common searches

DI's Apache95 on Win7x64

Topic actions

First post, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

From previous experience, I've learned that most of the problems getting old Windows games working in Win7x64 concern the installer, not the actual game. So it seems with DI's old helo sim Apache Longbow. I have the Front Line Fighters collection on CD (Apache, Hind & F16). All install & run their DOS versions under DOSbos, but none will install the 3Dfx-enhanced Windows version. I've found a pre-installed version of Hind, and the Windows version runs no problem, but I can't find, nor figure out, the Windows installation details for Apache (or F16, but that's a lesser concern).

Can anyone assist in this?

Reply 1 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have the game, but when the problem is a 16-bit installer, what I do is use XP Mode and TrackWinstall to log any Registry changes and system file changes to manually install these Win games. Some of my replacement installers for these 16-bit installers are based on the information gained in this way. It is the main reason I opted for Win7 Pro instead of saving money with Home Premium.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I said, I don't have the game, so I can't say about this game specifically. If your Win7 is Pro, XP Mode is a free download.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 22, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you have a "pre-installed version of Hind" you can patch that to the 3dfx version (unless the installers are 16bit)

is that version 1.2 ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 6 of 22, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have in fact discovered that the Hind CD in Front Line Fighters contains an upgrade to Apache, which does allow Apache to start up in 3Dfx mode!... however, it crashes to desktop as soon as I try and start a mission (in other words, as soon as the 3Dfx graphics are called for). I've tried a dozen variations of Compatibility Modes. I'm guessing - could well be wrong - that the DOS version of Apache I installed vis DOSbox doesn't have all the files I need to run the Windows version, even with the upgrade files copied over.

Or it could be something completely different.

p.s. The Hind installation was rescued from a very old hard drive I had, and, yes, it runs fine in 3Dfx mode. The drive was short of space (only a 40 Gb laptop drive), so I didn't have Apache installed.

Reply 7 of 22, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

how big is the apache install
tommorrow i could install it and put the folder in a zip or rar file for ya if its not too big and you have somewhere i could send it

Reply 12 of 22, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EDIT: OK, thought I had it working - turns out, 1 of the 3 included campaigns does work, sort of - Yemen will load, but even there the textures are blocky, and the desert seems to have been covered in snow (it's all white).

So, I am now confused...

Reply 17 of 22, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i labeled the emails apache 3, apache 4 ect
apache 4 was the last one there is no email entitled apache 5
only 15 rars
or do you mean your missing DI.part05.rar
if so will send it now

sent...

Reply 19 of 22, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it all now, but sadly it still doesn't work! Must be something fundamental to the code, I guess. Thanks for the assist, but for now I'm setting it aside, it's getting frustrating. I'll fly the Hind...