VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello. I have migrated to Seven a few weeks ago and although I have noticed some welcomed improvements, I have also noticed some things that got worse, like for instance, why Microsoft dropped support for 3D sound acceleration? That beats me. I have playing some community fan-made mods for NWN2 and I have noticed I haven't got sound hardware acceleration anymore. What is pissing me off is that sound effects are really loud while my NPCs voices sound too low.

Any idea on how to fix this? I have to check NWN2 forums yet.

Reply 1 of 9, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you are still using an X-Fi Creative card (or an Audigy equivalent) for your new system, I would try installing the OpenAL update from Creative. That supposedly gives a work-around to the 3d sound acceleration, making it compatible with EAX channels.

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Install Alchemy from Creative.

MS dropped it due to shitty sound drivers crashing systems but sadly didn't implement a wrapper leaving it up to Creative.

http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx

Alchemy only works for Creative Labs soundcards or whoever they have licensed the tech to (I think realtek? mabye).

Also it doesn't work for A3D games only EAX.

If the game does support OpenAL then use that if you can.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I have an Audigy card. I am going to check if I have OpenAL installed. I will give Creative's Alchemy a whirl too.

EDIT: It seems you have to be registered to be able to download anything but I didn't find how to do it. That site resembles a maze.

EDIT2: Ok. After jumping back and forth a few times I found it under the support/drivers section. 😁

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2011-01-21, 07:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 9, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I can confirm too that Alchemy has fixed my sound issues with NWN2. Thank you.

The neat thing about the Alchemy App is that if you do no see any EAX and/or Sound Hardware Acceleration, you can manually add the game to it via the add button and just copy/paste the install directory where the launcher and/or the game.exe is located at.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 8 of 9, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could be right about that, I think it depends on how the create the soundtrack to begin with, what instruments are used and how much, if any EAX features they use.

No matter where you go, there you are...