First post, by heilo99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This post involves questions about:

kernel32.dll
SUNMAPLS_IP_EBP_12
Windows XP

I am trying to get a game called "The Hive" to work on my Windows XP machine. It has service pack 3 running. "The Hive" is a railshooter. Upon allowing the autoplay to start I get an error message, (which, I have gathered, it not an uncommon error), that informs me: SUNMAPLS_IP_EBP_12 can't load in KERNEL32.dll.

I turned off many DirectX functions but those did not affect the problem.

I was advised to try running this game in Virtual PC. I did, and it worked, however, Microsoft Virtual PC does not support joysticks. I tried running it in VMWare, but unfortunately the performance was so poor it was unplayable.

I have tried importing an older version of kernel32.dll from my Windows 95 and Windows 98 disks, but something odd happened. Almost as soon I as pasted the new, (older), kernel32.dll of a size about 404kb, it automatically reverted back to the kernel32.dll that was on my system, at around 909kb.

I am asking if there is anything I can do to get this older version of kernel32.dll on my system, or if there is any other fix I can try. I suspect this is a video problem, because I can get another startup file to run the game, but the video is missing, only the joystick reticule appears. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 2 of 8, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try putting the older version of kernel32.dll in the folder of the game's executable. I know putting a newer version of kernel32.dll sometimes works for running newer apps on older versions of Windows (I used this trick to to get ioquake3 working on 2000), though I've never tried it the other way around (with an older kernel32.dll and a newer version of windows).

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
heilo99 wrote:
This post involves questions about: […]
Show full quote

This post involves questions about:

kernel32.dll
SUNMAPLS_IP_EBP_12
Windows XP

No, this seems to be a post about the same problems you already started a thread about. 😜
The Hive

Reply 4 of 8, by heilo99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jorpho, you should spend more time reading posts than commenting upon them. I have attempted several fixes since my last post and am requesting further help. I noticed your moniker says "oldie", perhaps you are getting tired of helping people solve gaming problems on this website?

If you don't want to help, don't post. Are you as passive aggressive in real life or just anonymously?

To anyone that is reasonable, I am still requesting help with this matter, and it seems that a solution to this may help others experiencing similar problems as well.

Reply 6 of 8, by heilo99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doesn't help what? What are you talking about?

The people posting in this place are sickening and obnoxious. I hope I will have the pleasure of meeting some of you in real life so I can see what what you look like.

Do me a favor and delete me from this vogon site.

Reply 7 of 8, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if you've ever read The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, you'd know that the Vogons aren't exactly the friendliest species in the universe. 🤣 Just sayin'.