VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was very disappointed recently when I tried to fire up some of Popcap's various games (such as Plants vs Zombies and Bookworm Adventures) under Win 7 x64 bit, only to find that, as long as "3D Acceleration" is enabled in the game's options, the graphics look like utter crap.

It took quite a bit of searching to get to the root of the problem - there are of course plenty of people griping about other x64 compatibility problems, and people griping about how 800x600 sprite-based graphics are an abomination in themselves, and so on. But I eventually found what I was looking for. (Note that "Sexy" refers to "SexyApp", the official name of the PopCap application framework.)

In order to maintain an aspect ratio (widescreen aware), Sexy 1.33 checks the desktop aspect ratio. If the ratio is not 4:3 then the framework uses the desktop resolution and stretches the screen (during the final blit from Back to front).

Unfortunately, it uses DirectX7. The newer drivers for newer cards emulate Dx7 using Dx9 (and Dx10). There is this weird grey area in the Dx7 specification that talks about ARITHMETIC stretching along the Y axis. In the original specification, there was no mention about how to handle the X axis stretching. Most drivers provided automatic ARITHMETIC_X stretching in this case. Newer drivers either don't follow this paradigm or don't support the arithmetic stretching at all.

http://forum.fischeronline.de/index.php?topic=5859.0

In other words, in some cases the games end up looking like crap unless one manually changes the desktop resolution to a 4:3 aspect ratio before running them.

I thought this might be worth mentioning here because perhaps other games suffer from a similar DX7-related problem, and a more convenient solution has been developed? (The forum thread there talks about altering the source code.)

Reply 2 of 9, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Plants vs. Zombies uses DirectX 8, not 7. If you do not want to play on an ugly pixellated screen like that, switch to windowed mode. To switch to windowed mode, just disable Full Screen in the game options. PopCap does not recommend disabling 3D acceleration, and it warns something like this when you try to disable acceleration:

Disabling Hardware Acceleration is not recommended and may decrease performance.
Disable it anyway?

This notice does not appear in Plants vs. Zombies.

Follow me on Twitter @kristoffer_jose
https://twitter.com/kristoffer_jose

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello. What brought you here?

KJ_Jose wrote:

Plants vs. Zombies uses DirectX 8, not 7.

Maybe it uses a DX7 function for that specific bit, or rather a function that originated in DX7 and was unchanged in DX8. I wouldn't know, but the people in that link seem to know what they're talking about.

If you do not want to play on an ugly pixellated screen like that, switch to windowed mode.

Have you tried changing your desktop resolution to 4:3 before launching the game? It works for me (i.e. the game is much less ugly and pixellated), and there seem to be numerous corroborating reports on the Steam forums from other users.

Reply 4 of 9, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

My interest in gaming.

Jorpho wrote:

Have you tried changing your desktop resolution to 4:3 before launching the game? It works for me (i.e. the game is much less ugly and pixellated), and there seem to be numerous corroborating reports on the Steam forums from other users.

That is not recommended. Your downside is a disproportionally stretched, bloated screen. You'd better try Windowed mode.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KJ_Jose wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

My interest in gaming.

Fine and dandy, but is there something that led you to look for a thread from four years ago..?

KJ_Jose wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

That is not recommended. Your downside is a disproportionally stretched, bloated screen. You'd better try Windowed mode.

I agree that it is unsightly when a 4:3 screen ratio is stretched over a widescreen, but my video card is configured to run a 4:3 screen ratio without stretching, i.e. with black bars on each side of the screen. In the NVIDIA control panel, the appropriate setting is in Display->Adjust desktop size and position->Scaling tab->Aspect ratio, but this may only work if your monitor is connected via DVI or HDMI. I'm not sure where the equivalent function is in the ATI control panel. And of course some TVs and monitors let you set the aspect ratio independently.

I suppose the black bars on each side of the screen can be aesthetically displeasing, but it's at least as good as windowed mode.

(To be quite clear, I know PvZ already runs with black bars on each side of the screen when you try to run it in fullscreen mode. But changing the desktop resolution before starting the game, as above, will cause the ugly pixellation to go away.)

(And to be extra, perfectly clear, none of this requires disabling hardware acceleration from within the game.)

Reply 6 of 9, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To enable Windowed Mode, just disable Fullscreen.

Windowed mode may be able to fix the bad framerate that you experience when in fullscreen.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No one has said anything about any kind of bad framerate, or asked how to enable Windowed Mode. I do not have the slightest idea why you are referring to this.

All I am saying is that the game runs perfectly in fullscreen mode if you change your desktop resolution to something with a 4:3 aspect ratio, provided your video card is configured to display a 4:3 aspect ratio as pillarboxed rather than stretched. Please try this if you haven't already. I tested it again just now and it still works, though I may have had to disable my second monitor.

Reply 8 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
KJ_Jose wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

My interest in gaming.

Fine and dandy, but is there something that led you to look for a thread from four years ago..?

Well, he seems to be all over any thread ever mentioning PopCap games and almost nothing else, which is a bit weird, but people have their various obsessions so I'm not knocking it. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 9, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Well, he seems to be all over any thread ever mentioning PopCap games and almost nothing else, which is a bit weird, but people have their various obsessions so I'm not knocking it. 😀

Well I already made a topic on the VOGONS forums that does not mention any PopCap game, rather askin' if you use Windows XP. Those kinds of games, though, will count to what games anyone gets to run on Microsoft Windows XP. Here: Who's still using XP?