VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have flashed a Mac PCI version of a 5500 to 1.18 for PC. I used the bios files found at http://3dfxbios.stantoworld.co.uk/

Works, but I am having trouble when I have another non 3dfx AGP card in use for a dual monitor setup. Get distorted images on the 3dfx dvi port. Vga port works fine in that setup though.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 5, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still having trouble with this. To clarify, this is what I'm facing...

Motherboard - Abit AN7 with Windows XP

Voodoo5 PCI MAC installed by itself:
VGA port works great. DVI port works great. No distortions.
Keep in mind, this card only allows use of one port or the other. I can not (far as i know) dual monitor on this single card.

TNT2 AGP installed by itself:
Single VGA port. Works great.

TNT2 AGP + Voodoo5 PCI MAC installed:
The TNT2 looks great. The Voodoo5 VGA port looks great.

TNT2 AGP + Voodoo5 PCI MAC installed:
The TNT2 looks great. The Voodoo5 DVI port is distorted. Resolution works fine, but the colors are all pink and green and blotchy. Basically it's booger vision. Drop it down to 16bit and it improves, but it's still clearly distorted.

Before using the TNT2 AGP, I had an ATI HD4670 AGP installed. Same effect before and after swapping back in. Even tried moving a monitor between the VGA and DVI ports of the HD4670 to see if that had an effect.

Any random ideas? Motherboard? Drivers? Bios settings? IRQs? If I tell my motherboard to boot PCI first, the XP booting logo and POST screens look fine on the Voodoo5. Also fails to boot if i say boot PCI first. Looks like XP crashes and the computer reboots. Never makes it to a login screen. Switch bios back to boot AGP first and it boot again. However original problem remains.

Any random ideas to try appreciated. Thanks.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Tried different pci slots?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried each of the PCI slots. I've gone between the SFFT 1.5 and recent 1.6 drivers and Amigamerlin 3.1 R11. Though knowing windows, I can't honestly say the old drivers are properly cleaned out before trying different drivers. I just have been using the remove options in each wizard, and then running setup with the whichever package I want to try.

I haven't tried a different DVI cable or monitor because it works fine when it's running by itself. So i think that rules out that part.

It is weird. I'd try a different PC, but I don't have another motherboard to try it with. I've even tried messing with IRQ's for the specific pci slot.

The problem just seems to be consistent with weather or not I have an AGP card installed.

Ya i figured no one else has had this problem. It does look odd and nothing shows up on google about it. But hey, i'm open to random ideas to try that I haven't thought of. Wish I had another V5 to try incase it really is the card. This still seems next to impossible to me, but only because it works solo.

Have any of your run a V5 as a secondary like this before? I doubt there are that many people out there with a V5 MAC that have used the DVI on it as a secondary monitor.