VOGONS

Common searches

Expendable timedemo with Core 2 Duo

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by gnat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have a PC with 32-bit XP, Core 2 Duo E8500 and a GTX 260. At first I couldn't get Expendable to run at all - menus worked but game itself crashed. It works fine on my old PC (Also WinXP, but with Athlon64 and GeForce 6600 GT). I was able to get it to work on the new PC with help from this thread:

Rage Expendable on XP

When using the commandline parameter "-nocputest", the game works. But I still have one problem. The game doesn't seem to accept more than ONE parameter (the first one given), and I want to do a benchmark that requires the "-timedemo 1" parameter. So there's 3 options:

• -Find a way to give multiple parameters
    -Get the game to work without "-nocputest"
    -Get the benchmark to run without "-timedemo 1"

I already tested the "SingleProcAffinity" fix with compatibility administrator, but it didn't work. Perhaps the crash is caused by an incompatibility with Core 2 CPUs rather than dual core CPUs in general.

Reply 2 of 8, by gnat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tip, that's an interesting tool. Unfortunately I couldn't get Expendable to work with the CPU tweaks (tried a lot of different combinations). I even tested slowing down my CPU, but still doesn't work. So the crash seemingly has something to do with the CPU, but slowing it down OR disabling multicore OR lying about CPU type doesn't help. Strange.

Reply 4 of 8, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, nice score.

I have a Core 2 Duo and 64-bit 7 and I've never been able to get Expendable to run on it, even with -nocputest. It does like you said, it exits as soon as it's done loading the first level.

I own a boxed original but I can't even get the demo version to run.

Did you do anything to the copy protection or does it just work..? I remember thinking maybe it could be the copy protection. But the no-cd cracks I found didn't help.

Reply 6 of 8, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Target" in the shortcut looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\Rage\Expendable Demo\Expendable.exe" -nocputest

Doesn't work..

/EDIT
-nocputest must be added to go.exe, not expendable.exe.
It works now, thanks!

Reply 7 of 8, by astigmatism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gnat wrote on 2011-03-10, 15:04:

I got the benchmark working with a simple hex edit - changed the two parameters' names to same, then gave the game that parameter and now it runs the benchmark with nocputest.

I use HxD myself but I didn't discover a way to accomplish this. Care to share your method?

Even better, can you just share your modded exe? I'm certain others will want to benchmark Expendable on newer hardware 😀