VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nightshade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since both my wife and I recently got new, Win7 64-bit laptops, I've ported over all our old games. Most weren't a significant problem (though I'll have separate thread on Freedom Force), but I ran into a little problem with Civ 3 Complete I hoped someone could enlighten me regarding.

I had no problem on my own laptop, which has a 15" screen, but on her widescreen there's been a problem; this isn't the "won't run or display" problem I've read considerable about. No, it seems like a problem with height. Some of the text areas don't look right. This would be minor but the diplomatic action options when communicating with another civ run off the bottom of the box and are, at best, hard to use and may be impossible in some cases. Its also noticeably hard to use things like the save/exit menu entries.

I went in and did the modification to the .ini file that come up in a lot of the widescreen threads, but it doesn't seem to help here. Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this trick:

After running the game once and quitting, look in your gameDir for Civilization3.ini. Edit it, and add this line to the bottom:
keepRes=1

When you run the game, it should run at your desktop's resolution instead of 1024x768.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 2 of 4, by Nightshade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BigBodZod wrote:

Try this trick:

After running the game once and quitting, look in your gameDir for Civilization3.ini. Edit it, and add this line to the bottom:
keepRes=1

When you run the game, it should run at your desktop's resolution instead of 1024x768.

Already did that one with the conquests.ini file which is what this is running off of. No joy.

Reply 4 of 4, by Nightshade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

is your game fully updated? with the last patch and all? Mine always played correctly but when i updated it, it diddnt work.

I'm pretty sure there was no post-Complete patch; at least I don't recall ever seeing or using one.