VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have just downloaded the demo for Quake 2, for some MiniGL 1.49 testing. I installed this game on Windows 95, but when I go to launch it, the display freezes before the running demo/game begins. When I try to launch the game demo, I see on the screen a "blank looking window" displayed in a low resolution (320x200 ?), with a large mouse hourglass cursor pointer on it. At this point, I have to press the reset button on my mobo because the game demo has frozen.

I am using a 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 AGP video card, with the last reference drivers released by 3dfx. For another test, I used the same hardware, but with a Windows 98 SE HDD. That all worked. So, there's something "odd" about my Windows 95 set up. Any ideas please people? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Edit: This is a bit strange. I just installed Quake 1 shareware version 1.06, in Windows 95. After it installed, it automatically attempted to run, and then froze. It seems to freeze at the time when the CD-ROM drive is being checked to see if there is an audio CD in the drive to play music.

Solved! I did: Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> CD-ROM -> Properties -> Settings.

I then unchecked the DMA option. I also unchecked "auto insert notification". I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I just decided to do this anyway! The PC rebooted, and both Quake and Quake 2 now work.

Reply 2 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

damn must be an ancient cdrom

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my original post. I'm using a DVD-ROM reader, circa 2007. I wonder if the problem I encountered is chipset driver related? Something to do with VIA's 4-in-1 version 4.43 chipset driver. When I installed this chipset driver, it gave me the choice of using DMA, or not. I chose DMA, but I think I have read somewhere that this can cause compatibility problems with some hardware.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the general hint to simply not use VIA's own drivers but to use the ones that came with Windows?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Is the general hint to simply not use VIA's own drivers but to use the ones that came with Windows?

I'm using Windows 95. The board's BIOS is date stamped 2000. IMO, I think the best approach is to follow VIA's release notes, and install their driver. I'm guessing that whatever driver is on the w95 CD, it might be too old.