VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this isn't necessarily the usual thing we'd discuss here on these forums but I'm out of ideas so I'm hoping some of the smart cookies on vogons can offer some advice 😀

I am using an Nvidia 8400GS with 7-pin component output, to connect to my TV using YPbPr component output. Got it working in 640x480 mode. However it seems to cut off about 20 pixels top and bottom. Width is fine though. Seems to be overscanning slightly but only vertically.

The resize feature in the nvidia driver greys out after the first click. I have tried the WHQL 266 drivers and the beta 270 drivers, both have the same problem. Some googling suggested that installing nView or Nvidia system tools would resolve this, but I've had no luck with either.

I've even installed PowerStrip but the 'advanced timing options' button is greyed out so I cant make a custom resolution. It is enabled when using a VGA monitor but is disabled with the component output.

I guess I can just live with it but it would be nice not to have the top and bottom of my screen cut off.

Any ideas as to how to adjust the height of the displayed picture?
OS is Win 7 x64 with latest updates.

You might be wondering why I am trying to use a crappy old CRT TV with only component input. Well, I also use this TV with my mega drive and master system, and I also use the PC for other emulators like SNES and N64, and the CRT TV really makes it feel a lot more authentic. The old console games just don't look quite so good on an LCD/LED/Plasma/whatever with the harsh pixel edges and lack of phosphor glow. Besides, I have nowhere else in my house to put this TV and I don't want to throw it out 😒

Any advice would be appreciated 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

try creating a custom resolution 640x440
or try 720x480
ps: does your tv have h size and v size controls

ps: by 7 pin you mean svideo
http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_connect_pc2tv.php

heres a guide but its for an older nv card (it may still apply)
http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_pc2tv_nvidia.php

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 3, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try creating a custom resolution 640x440
or try 720x480

720x480 is one of the driver options but thats overscanned even more. The nvidia driver has an option to create custom resolutions but whenever I try to make one it tells me that its not suported by my monitor and won't save it. 640x480 @ 29hz interlaced seems to give the best results so far.

ps: does your tv have h size and v size controls

No it doesn't. Its got options for colour, contrast, brightness etc but nothing about horizontal or vertical adjustment. It also doesn't let me tune channels manually, so I had heaps of trouble getting old consoles working with it. It's too smart for its own good I think.

ps: by 7 pin you mean svideo

No, I mean component (YPbPr). There are 3 RCA connectors, red green and blue. My TV supports S-Video input through its composite jack, so if I use a 4 pin DIN to RCA lead it works without overscan however quality is significantly worse.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

4 pin DIN to RCA? That's plain composite I believe. No surprise the result doesn't look good...

At least for HDMI, there is a nice overscan utility built into the Nvidia drivers. I saw it on a notebook, so I assume this feature is built into the driver.

Having said that, analogue TV output might not be that important these days, so maybe it was a feature that got dropped after a while?

Another option is opening up the TV and finding the analogue adjustments for screen position and size. Some TVs have a hidden service menu, at least this was the case with a Sony Trinitron TV back in day.