Common searches

Aliens vs. Predator Gold

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 122, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great job.
I simply wouldn't survive without unlimited saves.
Cheers mate!

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 101 of 122, by Perth2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought I'd share this, though I'm sure a few have tried this already.

If you have used sirlemonhead's great AVP Gold fix (aka AVPX, available here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/) as I do you may have also wondered whether it would work with Mad_Max_RW's AVP Classic Redux 2.0.

Well I downloaded the two massive installation files (1.6 and 1.7GB each) which can be found at moddb, here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus-preda … r-classic-redux. As noted in the readme file, Mad_Max_RW's mod was made specifically for the re-release of AVP Gold on Steam and was not guaranteed to work with AVP Gold.

Well of course it doesn't work with AVP Gold out of the box but it DOES with sirlemonhead's AVPX! While it takes much longer to load each mission or skirmish map you will find much to enjoy and marvel at in Mad_Max_RW's visual enhancement. The map environments have had a major face-lift but best of all, to me, are the much improved character models, obviously using an order of magnitude or more polygons such that all characters look more natural and less angular.

Well worth a look ... but only after you have tried and played through the original using AVPX as that way you will have a sound basis of comparison. After a few hours of testing a number of maps only a couple of crashes/freezes were experienced but probably this is because it the Redux is not meant to be compatible with the non-Steam version. But it worked for me 95% of the time. ENJOY.

Perth2008
http://au.gamespot.com/users/Perth2008

Reply 102 of 122, by Perth2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sirlemonhead wrote:
Find your AvP config file (usually in C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Documents\My Games\Aliens versus Predator\AliensVsPredator.cfg […]
Show full quote

Find your AvP config file (usually in C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Documents\My Games\Aliens versus Predator\AliensVsPredator.cfg

Edit that and change the line
UnlimitedSaves = false
to
UnlimitedSaves = true

Ha, ha, ha ... if only I'd known about that simple fix! 😲

Still playing as intended with limited lives cannot be beaten as a pure (undiluted) adrenalin rush. Perhaps now I can have a go at Director's Cut difficulty!

Planning to replay the whole game at some stage with the Mad_Max_RW graphical enhancement in due course. Surprised the files worked so readily in the standard C:\Program Files\Fox\Aliens versus Predator directory despite the disclaimer in the Redux version readme file.

Perth2008

Reply 103 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They used my source code to make the Steam release of AvP Classic 200 whatever so i'm not surprised it works :p

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for a new name? AvPx wasn't anything I had put much thought into..probably me naming the xbox port I did, or just trying to differentiate from avp.exe

It's not something that has to remain as is so i'm open to suggestions 😀

Reply 104 of 122, by Perth2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

G'day sirlemonhead

Well I've dropped a few references to your work on AvPx and sound fixes around a few gaming sites so sticking with the current name works for me.

It's your creation so call it whatever you like ... 😀 But whatever name you give it, it would be helpful to include the version number and/or date in the file properties of the installation file and AvP.exe.

Hmmm, played a bit more using Redux mod and it is certainly more stable with the skirmish maps than in the campaign missions but there is some interesting work in the mod and well worth a look. 😖

Thanks again for making the AVP Gold playable!

Perth2008

Reply 105 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem. Let me know if there's anything else I can do (except multiplayer..that's sorta a work in progress when I can muster up the energy to look into it)

Reply 106 of 122, by Valet2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for commenting before reading the previous messages, but here's my experience I want to share:

I'm very happy with steam's "Classic 2000" version! I've been playing for a week recently, and it was a blast from the past. No bugs at all (oh, maybe the game just once crashed)! No fps-drop! The music works, save/load works, no intro-videos looping sound. I had good time completing all levels on Director's Cut. The system is Win7-64 with GTX460.

On my laptop with Win7-32 & Intel GMA 4500M I have the gold edition which works fine - I have it there because I've been playing around with a level-editor (always wondered what's behind the ceiling where xenomorphs do appear). Also DEMO-versions (released in January 1999) work! Even with widescreen resolution!

But neither original nor gold edition works. Even with AvPx. But I think I've played it fine (without patches besides an updated bink-library) on WinXP after nVidia made a fix in their drivers sometime around 2009.

That's it! The "Classic 2000" version is great! If you want you can replace the ogg's with higher-quality files, and put older fmv's from the original game.

--- Old Habits Never Die ---

Reply 107 of 122, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer playing the original AvP on a PIII system, but the 2000 Classic has the advantage of easy recording on modern comps 😀 :

Tyrargo · Marine · Director's Cut · Suicide Run 🤣

Boy do I love this game, one of my all-time favourites. The pace is completely crazy and the bugs give you no respite 😁 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 110 of 122, by Valet2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I did that too 😀 Also, there's an utility (works with Gold Edition fine) that allows you to play any character on any level! It was very interesting to know, that Alien Queen, for example, is hostile to Alien!

Add me on facebook.

Reply 111 of 122, by NTxC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I just registered here to say: THANK YOU sirlemonhead for fixing this game. I'm a huge fan of it (since 2003 or so), I really really love it and I love your work. Thank you again for making it playable on Windows 7. It's nearly perfect.

You, sir, are a legend.

Regards
Patrick

Reply 113 of 122, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't checked this thread in a while. I have a retail copy of AvP Gold. If I were to get a copy of the original, non-gold AvP, could I substitute the original briefing videos? I've heard that they were better than the ones used for the Gold version.

Reply 114 of 122, by Valet2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

I haven't checked this thread in a while. I have a retail copy of AvP Gold. If I were to get a copy of the original, non-gold AvP, could I substitute the original briefing videos? I've heard that they were better than the ones used for the Gold version.

Some of them are better, some - not. I've spent quite a few time comparing them. The Gold-version has 2 more videos in addition (featuring the Rebellion guys).

Reply 115 of 122, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sirlemonhead, did you ever get around to updating the XBox port you did? If not, then please consider it, as there are still a few (few but loyal) XBox fans who'd love to see an updated version of AvP on the ol' XBox. But if you don't have the time then thanks for the great work you've already done on it, it really is appreciated.

Reply 116 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought of the xbox version the other day actually. Last time I ran the code on the xbox, I wasn't getting any rendering anymore so I think it's either horribly broken or there's something simple. If there's still people interested though, I should make an effort to get it working again.

I like to think that at least I put the source code up online, which is something most xbox ports don't have available 😀

Reply 117 of 122, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sirlemonhead wrote:

I thought of the xbox version the other day actually. Last time I ran the code on the xbox, I wasn't getting any rendering anymore so I think it's either horribly broken or there's something simple. If there's still people interested though, I should make an effort to get it working again.

Please do, I know it's still popular, and it would be great to see an update, especially as sadly there is so little homebrew activity nowadays. At the moment, it's only Doom (in the form of Odamex), XBMC, and MAME that have been updated recently, and an occasional (but fairly frequent) update to Mabmad's emulators, so the XBox homebrew scene isn't dead, but it is slow, and almost entirely emulation based now. The fact that the XBox-scene's forums have been down for a while doesn't help either. But a new XBox version of the only really good AvP game ever made (I'm not including the Jaguar game in that, as I've not played it so I can't judge if it's good or bad) would be a great gift to us loyal XBox fans.

Actually, AvP 2 was quite good too, I think, but nowhere near as good as the original. But starting with AvP 2, every AvP game seems to have been inferior to the one before it. AvP > AvP 2 > AvP (2010) > Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I'm so glad it's the 1999 Rebellion game you ported to the XBox.

I like to think that at least I put the source code up online, which is something most xbox ports don't have available 😀

Yes, I seem to remember reading that (though sadly as a non-coder it wouldn't be useful to me), but no one seems to have picked it up and worked on it, or at least if they did they didn't release an updated binary. I assume AvP was/is very complex so it would have put off many potential coders, sadly.

Reply 118 of 122, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:

... Actually, AvP 2 was quite good too, I think, but nowhere near as good as the original. But starting with AvP 2, every AvP game seems to have been inferior to the one before it. AvP > AvP 2 > AvP (2010) > Aliens: Colonial Marines ...

Wholly agreed! The crazy dynamicity of the '99 original remains unsurpassed.

Let the air flow!