Topic actions

Reply 22 of 122, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
Davros wrote:

the probelms with avp were fixed years ago the light trial problem shouldnt exist any more (even without a fixed exe)

In the thread akula65 linked to, it says to use driver 163.75 to fix that. The current driver is 270.61 so it would seem the trailing has been broken again.

Drivers versions 267.xx or 268.xx could also fix that. The 270.xx and newer broke lots of things again.

Next, I tried AVP in VPC 2007 running Windows 98. Apparently the mission loading screen causes it to crashes to desktop. This is after the intro movie. I disable intros in options and it still crashes after the difficulty is selected. I tried different resolutions and color settings with the same result

AVP requires 3D acceleration, which is not supported by VPC 2007.

Reply 24 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi RadG1, try this test version and see if music playback works for you. There's likely other bugs in there related to rendering and it might crash..let me know.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/AvP … st_18122012.exe

Reply 25 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, also do the following:

create a folder called Music in your AvP game folder. Put the .ogg vorbis files in there. Then, within Music, create a file called ogg_tracks.txt and edit this to list the filenames of your .ogg tracks, in the correct order

Check this screenshot of my setup for how to do it - http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/oggsetup.png

Reply 27 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me know if there's anything major that I need to fix. I'm really not too interested in working on it anymore but I'm sure I could be convinced to fix the game breaking bugs..

Reply 28 of 122, by RadG1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey sirlemonhead, i found graphic glitches presents in Predator campaign, please, take a look at the screenshot.

23jimno.png

Opps, i found some missing textures in some levels of alien and marine campaign.

Thank you again for your time. 😉

Reply 29 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this one out: http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/AvP … st_22122012.exe

Windows 8 seems to be working mostly ok for me without having to set compatibility mode. I did get one or two rendering issues but that was on a VMware install so I don't know if that has anything to do with it..

Reply 30 of 122, by RadG1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't want to bother you, glitches are gone but the music is broken again, in predator campaign music is working, according to log file:

Initialised Direct3D9 succesfully
Initialising ENet networking
Error: Heading [Networking] not found!
Error: Variable IncomingBandwidth not found!
Error: Variable OutgoingBandwidth not found!
Initialised ENet networking succesfully
Starting to initialise XAudio2
Error: Heading [Audio] not found!
Using device "Altavoces (Realtek High Definition Audio)" for audio playback
Created Master Voice with 2 channel(s) and sample rate of 44100
using 2 output channel(s)
Initialised XAudio2 successfully
Error: Heading [Misc] not found!
Error: Can't find OGG Vorbis file Music/Track 01
Error: Can't find OGG Vorbis file Music/Track 02
Error: Can't find OGG Vorbis file Music/Track 03
Error: Can't find OGG Vorbis file Music/Track 04
Error: Can't find OGG Vorbis file Music/Track 05
Uninitialised XAudio2 successfully
Releasing Direct3D9 device...
Releasing Direct3D9 object...

I understand you if you don't wan't to continue with AvPx because you have more important things to worry about. One more time, thank you so much for your support.

Reply 33 of 122, by Perth2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi sirlemonhead

Happy New Year ... well your AVP Gold soundtrack fix made mine happy so far!

Thanks for your posts above to RadG1 ... I finally got the soundtrack working with my AVP Gold using your latest test version (AvPx_test_22122012.exe) of the great AvPx.exe (successor to the earlier MyAvP.exe which I used previously) after converting CD2 music files to ogg.

A problem I still have is that I cannot see the Alien's jaws ... although to all intents and purposes the jaw attack/head chomp attack still takes place, assuming this results in headless/dacapitated corpses.

Is there a quick fix for this, understanding your wish to move on from "fixing" AVP Gold? I'm using XP SP3.

As many of us aging AVP Gold players end up, via google, at your(?) AVP site (http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/) it would be beneficial to include a bit of explanation on getting the soundtrack ogg files set up and working, as the current "readme" only notes "Ogg Vorbis music playback as an alternative to inserting the game's music CD" which had be completely befuddled until I found this forum.

Anyway, hope you can find time to fix the lack of jaws in the alien jaw attack.

Thanks

Reply 34 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll have a look at the Alien jaw thing. Let me know if there's anything else.

I'll try get that explanation for the music up on the site soon. Thanks for the suggestions 😀

Reply 35 of 122, by Perth2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi sirlemonhead

Many thanks for prompt (especially given its the holiday season) and positive response.

Because you asked: 😀

(1) Another observation is that as with earlier iterations of myAvp and AvPx when playing as the Predator it is difficult to visually tell if cloaking mode is enabled.

I had a look at this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqgm8sEdVC0, which admitedly is from the Steam-based "Classic" re-release and not the CD-based AVP Gold you are working on. I do not get the same "cloaking effect" whereby the Predators arms (from the players viewpoint) appear semi-transparent. I do get what looks like (and it's difficult to describe) a sort of hazy "film" over the whole screen but the arms still appear completely "opaque" with cloak activated.

(2) When using ESC to leave an episode mid-mission to change any setting all the user menus are out of alignment (this was also the case with myAvP and AvPx). ESC in mid-mission is the only way to change the Gamma and rest assured I tried this in case it impacted Alien jaws or Predator cloak. Not a game breaker and unknown to me whether this is a diffiult fix or not. I tend to play at a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 which means small fonts but that's fine.

I can also confirm that your AvPx_test_22122012.exe soundtrack (an no doubt other features) fix works for all campaigns and in skirmish mode. It certainly adds to the tension based on my replay of previously completed missions/episodes as all three characters and a few skirmish rounds.

Happy to work with you as a "tester" (note though that I will be unavailable next week).

Cheers, over and out. http://au.gamespot.com/users/Perth2008/ 😀

Last edited by Perth2008 on 2013-01-05, 10:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 36 of 122, by Perth2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(3) Figured if you are looking at "HUD issues" like the alien's (missing) jaws and Predator's (lacking) semi-tranparent arms in cloak mode you might consider looking at "remnant/artifact" of alien's tail on RHS of screen after a tail attack. Claw attack sometimes leaves folded claws on bottom of screen which is less obtrusive than the tail remnant.

Also another suggestion for your AVP support webpage is to put the link to the .png file showing how to set up the ogg vorbis "Music" file and the txt file and probably note that the names of the ogg files do not have to match those shown in your example, here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/oggsetup.png

BTW, is this https://www.assembla.com/spaces/AvP/tickets where we can track your progress on the various fixes/improvements ... understanding of course you have a life away from AVP? I have already honourably mentioned your webpage and AvPx (4 July 2012 version) in the draft of my "in progress" review. I always make a point of mentioning useful sites to get ones' "older" Win95/98 games like NOLF, Red Faction and others working on XP (or later) in my GameSpot reviews/blog.

Anyway, I'm happy I found you here on vogons though I had seen the odd older post on the Steam Classic version forum as well. Is this the best place/forum to follow up AVP Gold issues with you?

Thanks again for your work on getting AVP Gold running better than ever on XP (for me) and later systems for others. 😁

Perth2008
http://au.gamespot.com/users/Perth2008

Reply 37 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll look at the Predator thing, thanks. I'll add it to my TODO list. I realise some of the rendering stuff is still broken and ideally i'll fix that before I take another big break from the game. I doubt i'd ever really abandon it fully.
The Steam release uses my code from 2009 or so before I made some big changes to how rendering is done so unfortunately that version is a lot better than my current releases unfortunately.

Yeah the ingame menus are broken. Thanks for that, I had meant to fix them but forgot. They were actually a lot worse up until a few months back 😀
The small fonts at high res are shitty indeed, and again another thing I had hoped to get fixed but it never happened unfortunately.

I updated my website last night with instructions for music setup. Have a look and tell me if the instructions are adequate or not.

Regarding the Tickets section on the assembla site, no, I don't keep that up to date at all. I'm pretty much the only person who's really worked on this the last couple of years so I found it easier
to just keep track of fix stuff locally in a text file or on a piece of paper even :p

People are always shocked to find out that I don't actually really like the game all that much. I love the films but never really appreciated the game itself for some reason. I was just out of college and unemployed back in 2007ish
and saw that the AvP source was released. I was a bit bothered by the fact that nobody had fixed up the game to run properly on windows so I decided to learn C/C++ and the Direct3D stuff. Was quite annoying when Rebellion took my work
and didn't credit me, which is something I think is hugely responsible for me having lost a great deal of interest in still working on the code

Reply 38 of 122, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sirlemonhead wrote:

Was quite annoying when Rebellion took my work
and didn't credit me, which is something I think is hugely responsible for me having lost a great deal of interest in still working on the code

That is very poor [of them] and I'm sure many will understand your thoughts.

Reply 39 of 122, by Perth2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

G'day

Your AVP webpage update is quite good and the description of "how to" convert the CD tracks to ogg files and setting up the Music folder is clear enough to me (recall that I winged it ... and got lucky using the clues in your posts above).

By way of background I had used your earlier myavp.exe when I first tried playing AVP Gold ~late 2009, before I set it aside having completed the marine and some predator missions, and it was certainly the best, indeed only, available fix at the time. I restarted with a clean install in October 2012 using your July avpx.exe.

I wasn't aware of your "issue" with Rebellion. Still kudos for teaching yourself programming ... I have vague memories of Fortran and Basic from the 80's but that's as far as I got. Yup, that probably puts us two decades college-wise apart!

Curious about your opening comments. Can you still access your 2009 code ... interesting that you note it is somehow better than current versions? Is it worth having it posted on your webpage as an alternate/"archive" version?

Personally I like Alien, Aliens and Predator films however the subsequent sequals and the whole AvP franchise did not excite me. Gaming-wise I prefer AVP2, because it works straight out of the box and has a clearer narrative stitching the missions together than AVP does. But AVP for a 1999 game certainly can scare you (as the marine character) despite its rather dated graphics ... and the soundtrack really helps with that. Maybe you should take your creation for a run! 😀

Perth2008
http://au.gamespot.com/users/Perth2008