VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying feverishly to get The Godfather running on Windows 7 in light of the various problems that people have been having with it. My research has led me find that the problem is the same with Vista.

Now, I've been busy and tried my level best to try and fix this. The common knowledge solution has been to delete or rename the "movies" directory, which effectively denies the game any access to the video files. This works, but it also removes all the FMV cutscenes from the game. The solution has led me to believe that there is some kind of codec problem.

Tweaking the filelist.txt file and removing all references of the movie files from there does nothing, so apparently godfather.exe does not determine the filenames for the video files from that.

There are no dynamic video codec libraries in the game directory. Opening godfather.exe in a hex editor has revealed that the codec is STATICALLY LINKED (urgh!) with a reference to VP6_CODEC_INTERNAL.

I think the EXE has been compressed but I can't figure out which compressor was used, so I can't disassemble the file.

And this is where I'm stuck. I'd ideally like to be able to re-code the VP6 files into MP4 and get the game executable to use Windows' native MP4 decoder in place of its own internal codec (through hex-editing of course!), but I'm not sure if or how this is possible.

I'm not an expert programmer so I may be in over my head here, but if there are any developers/hackers out there who may be able to lend a hand, please do!

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 1 of 9, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should try Microsoft ACT 5.x. It has over a thousand of compatibility flags to create your own compatibility mode for any game.

Reply 2 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jamyskis wrote:

I think the EXE has been compressed but I can't figure out which compressor was used, so I can't disassemble the file.

What have you tried so far? Generic decompression utilities exist, if I'm not mistaken. Just Google for <exe decompressor>.

Reply 5 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oops :
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VP7_Codec

click on the "Download the old VP6 Codec here." link

ps: deadspace uses the same engine does that work for you ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 6 of 9, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the codec link, but as I mentioned unfortunately, the game uses a statically linked library for the codec and will just plainly ignore any external codecs.

As for the Dead Space engine - that was an interesting piece of information and it might have been useful, but the Dead Space engine has no reference to the VP6 codec (no wonder - there aren't any video files in there, it's all in-engine).

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 8 of 9, by Blackbird88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I realize this thread is pretty old, but I found out something interesting. If I replace the intro movie with a file from Wii version then it plays for a sec and then crashes as opposed to crashing outright. Maybe replacing the files with newer version of them could work. IDK.