VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

On my XP machine, I've found a maddening problem- it seems that in the game "Messiah" by Shiny entertainment, I randomly have a system lock up when saving a game. When I try to save, sometimes it will work just fine, other times I will have to reset the whole system and reboot. This game has been buggy ever since I got it back when it was brand new, but I still love playing it. I am running it under Windows XP, in 3dfx Glide mode, with two Voodoo 2 Black Magic cards running in SLI. The drivers I used to get it to work under XP are Koolsmoky's Voodoo 2 and Obsidian Glide driver kit. I've got a SB Audigy 2 ZS with the EAX enabled. I'm running it at 1024x768, with the mipmapping turned off as well. When I reboot, I can reload the saved game that apparently froze on me, no problem. So it actually *is* saving the game, it just causes a whole freeze. No blue screen of death, no beeps, no nothing. Weird situation! Anyone ever experience anything like this? Thank you for any advice in advance!

PS: My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, running a 2800 AMD XP chip. Could it be an NForce problem? I have the 3dfx cards passing through a Nvidia 5200 AGP card for my 2D acceleration. I used older drivers on that as they are very stable with most of my other games and should not affect the Voodoo cards.

I'm almost tempted to install my old copy of the game "Sacrifice" also by Shiny and see how that runs.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 1 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From Mastertronic.com

3dfx Voodoo 2

From Gamer: Seems I found the problem with crashing while saving. I switched off "Triple colour buffering" in my Voodoo 2 Glide properties I had no further saving-crash. Leave all advanced-options off in the V2 properties page. The only thing I switched off is the wait for V-sync and that still works.

Reply 2 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahh! THANK YOU. 😀 I will try that! This is my first Voodoo card. I was pulled into the NVidia galaxy at the end of the last millenium.

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 3 of 17, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Voodoo2 has always been a pain-in-the-b**t with odd lock-ups. Many games required a patch only to work with that card, but it still rocked. For best compatibility the original Voodoo Graphics is the one.

Reply 4 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shoot- no go here. If I uncheck the triple buffering option in Voodoo tweaker, I'm left with misaligned/invisible textures. Can't play it that way... 🙁 I turned it back on and sure enough, freeze when saving. Any other ideas? Should I try MesaFX?

Reply 5 of 17, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you patched the game? I never ran it in Glide mode (I had a 16MB TNT at the time) but IIRC it was very buggy and they released a couple of patches for it.

Have you tried running it on the 5200 to see if it does the same thing?

Last edited by Sune Salminen on 2011-06-21, 03:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I downloaded the latest "official" 1.2 patch Shiny had uploaded way back in 2000ish

Edit: I heard the gog.com version one can buy is patched and fixed, but I hate to buy a game I already own...even if it is $2.99 😀 Besides, I *want* to use it on my vintage hardware, not just my Windows 7 laptop.

Reply 7 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Direct3D version crashes when run straight on the NVidia FX 5200 btw, it never did like my regular card.

Reply 8 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dfx Voodoo2 and a modern motherboard is kind of a nuts idea since I read about some bug that causes them to fry/melt in those things.

OR!!! It could be the Nvidia Geforce card doing the evil deed of backstabbing Voodoo2's D3D HAL drivers.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually have one of those big case fans for cooling that sits parallel with the PCI slots right flush with those cards. It ought to suck any excess heat out (I hope!) Unless the "bug" is some kind of electrical zappy bug that kills the cards/board.
😳

Reply 10 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went ahead and downloaded the GoG.com version of Messiah (so at least I can play on Windows 7!) but I noticed this one has no 3dfx version, just the D3D one...I'll experiment more later and post more results when I get off work today.

Edit: bought legally, of course 😀 I love gog.com

Reply 11 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you look in the Messiah forum on GOG I believe there is a patch to add the Glide functionality to the game (unofficial).

Or if you have both versions you can probably do it yourself.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 17, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's right, there is a way to do that, one of the user reviews of Messiah over there mentions it as well.
The reviewer could not get it to work in D3D and ended up running it in 3DFX mode with a wrapper.

Reply 13 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sune Salminen wrote:

That's right, there is a way to do that, one of the user reviews of Messiah over there mentions it as well.
The reviewer could not get it to work in D3D and ended up running it in 3DFX mode with a wrapper.

I thought GOG went to some effort to make such bothersome workarounds unnecessary. So much for that idea.

Reply 14 of 17, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

If you look in the Messiah forum on GOG I believe there is a patch to add the Glide functionality to the game (unofficial).

Messiah has always had a glide mode

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 15 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC GOG deleted the Glide executable in their release so you have to add it back.....

Reply 16 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

IIRC GOG deleted the Glide executable in their release so you have to add it back.....

So I could take the 3dfx executable from my CD version (after patching it to 1.2) and paste it into the GoG games version? I was going to check it out last night, but ended up spending productive family time with my mom, dad, dog and fiancee. I was a good boy. 😀 Well that, and she and I were playing Alice: Madness Returns. 😜

Reply 17 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah the unofficial patch I was talking about (which I can't find) packaged the executables with another glide wrapper in a zip.

All you really have to do is extract the glide executable from the 1.2 patch along with zeckensack glide wrapper and use it with the game.

I don't have the GOG release (I've had the retail since it first came out) but the I believe the above is what GOG users do.