VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AFnord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jeff Wayne's The war of the worlds is not really enjoying XP. The copy protection seem to be causing some issues for the game to run (it flat out refuses to run without it disabled actually), but if I crack the game, I can't get the music to play. As you might know, this is a game based on a musical (which in turn is based on a book), and without the music, it feels somewhat empty. I suspect that all the music is on the CDs, and the crack disables all calls to the CD. I've googled the problem, and using a crack seem to be the common XP-fix for this game, and others have reported a lack of music as well.
So does anyone know of a workaround for this issue?

Reply 3 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any answers for you, but I own the game and didn't play it very much - playing as the humans got you trounced over and over again by the martians - but, the CD music is very, very good indeed. It makes the game, IMO.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 4, by AFnord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea, the game is incredibly unforgiving if you don't know what you are doing, the AI will crush you. I found that the trick (as humans) was to quickly research the heavier vehicles, and then just mass produce them, and build up a better economy in your own territory, researching level 2 vehicles and factories, plus better armour/sight range/guns. The game is far from perfect though, the AI is moronic and I'm sure that it cheats to make up for this, and there are also severe balancing issues between units (certain units are simply not very useful). Plus, if you end up in a position where neither side can win (like if the enemy has a ship, and your base is where the enemy can't see it), then you might as well just self destruct your base/flee with your units, because the AI won't give up.