VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Evil_Darkness

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having problems installing Nfs SE under winxp Sp1.

This is the problem that happens

251103-erro.JPG

Same problme in promt dos

What I need to do to Nfs SE install and works well?

Reply 1 of 10, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.
We want sytsem info.

Reply 3 of 10, by austin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like quite possibly your RAM may have some issues. Are you running the program in WinXP Compatability mode with an older version of windows?

http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

Go there and follow their intructions to check your RAM /shrug.

Reply 4 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah good old Need For Speed SE. So flakey! I can't run it on Windows 98 unless I run DxDiag and disable DirectDraw altogether temporarily (re-enable it after or no other games will work!).

If that doesn't work, find your Display settings then go to the Performance tab and reduce that until the game - though that needs you to reboot Windows each time in 98.

Or try the DOS version of the game!

When I finally upgrade to WinXP then I can help more!

Incidentally the Disable DirectDraw fix also fixes corrupt backdrops in Daytona USA.

Strange but true.

Ice

Reply 5 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My guide to getting NFSSE/NFS2SE/NFS3/NFS4 to work (plus many more) is now (and updated) here:

A LOT of WindowsXP fixes...

Ice

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2004-03-09, 01:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, great job Ice. One for Deep Thought or something. 😁

BTW, there is a utility that can disable DirectDraw, alter video/sound acceleration settings - on the fly. And it can save different settings for different games.

I forget the name, I think a similar app is called DirectControl?

(P.S. This is the Sega-fanboy Iceman from Retrogames forums, yeah?)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 10, by rennervision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This was one of the hardest games I've ever tried to install - even though the SE comes with both a DOS and Windows 95 version! I couldn't install it or (after copying it to my hard drive) play it in XP with dosbox, vdmsound, windows 95 compatibility mode, or windows 98 compatibility mode. Adding to my frustration was the fact that the downloadable demo plays in XP with vdmsound just fine. So next I tried and failed to install it or(after copying to my hard drive) play it in windows 98, a dos window in windows 98, or after rebooting in dos mode in 98.

I suspected Windows 98 couldn't play it due to some sort of Direct X conflict. Then I found IceMan's suggestion of disabling Direct Draw and THAT works! Once I did that, I was able to install and play it perfectly. Thanks!!!

I guess I should quit while I'm ahead, but I noticed the SE version supports force feedback. Unfortunately, my Logitech Momo Racing Wheel is not responding with any ff effects. Would anyone out there who is smarter than me know a way to remedy this? 😁

Reply 9 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, the force feedback uses Immersion first-gen prototype technology which doesn't seem to be supported in more modern force feedback wheels. One other game supported it too I think, maybe IndyCar Racing II.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 10 of 10, by rennervision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I kind of figured that.

By the way, for anyone interested, I also solved a little problem with the menu screens on the game. I couldn't figure out why sometimes they were behaving erratically, and the game would eventually freeze up.

Then I realized that sometimes I wasn't calibrating my steering wheel properly. At the calibration screen, you are not finished until the gear shift is in the center of the screen AND you are not pressing on any pedals or holding the wheel. If, for instance, you finish the calibration with your foot on the accelerator, things are going to be screwed up.

Haven't had a problem installing/playing a game in awhile. This website helped me out with another one about a year ago. There's some valuable information on this site!