Rank
Oldbie

Trying to run Ultimate Race Pro on a rig spec of:

P3 1GHz
512MB SDRAM
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Aureal 3D SuperQuad 2500
Win98SE

The game installed fine. Can get into the menu and navigate fine. When starting a race and the loading screen gets to end I get a CTD (crash to desktop). Tried installing latest patch (1.5), and disabling EAX but no good. Scouring the net hasn't turned up much interest past the voodoo 2 days 🙁

TIA!

Reply 2 of 6, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still crashes at the same point.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 6, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I uninstalled the game and installed fresh without the patch. The game complained about glide enviroment error on glide2x.dll but started up anyways.

The game crashed without the patch when loading up.

Disabled sound and then software mode and DirectX mode worked. Going further under the Aureal Vortex Control Panel checked the "Disable DirectSound Hardware Acceleration" will let the sound work and game play.

So just have to fix the glide issues on the voodoo 3 now. Dropping the Glide2x.dll from voodoo3 or voodoo2 drivers don't fix the unpatched game.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Patch 1.5 now allows Glide to work on Voodoo 3 up to 800x600, can't select 1024x768 though.

Last edited by RogueTrip2012 on 2011-08-16, 00:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, aureal drivers tend to fuck up with a lot of games. Keep that in mind for games such as Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Max Payne (which outright tells you to check the "Disable DirectSound Hardware Acceleration" box).

Anybody know how to achieve greater resolutions than 640x480 in this game with a Voodoo 5?

Reply 6 of 6, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Yeah, aureal drivers tend to fuck up with a lot of games. Keep that in mind for games such as Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Max Payne (which outright tells you to check the "Disable DirectSound Hardware Acceleration" box).

Anybody know how to achieve greater resolutions than 640x480 in this game with a Voodoo 5?

Thanks for the heads up! Would you say a SB Live is better for compatibility? This rig only has AGP/PCI slots.

Have you tried dropping a glide2x.dll in from the voodoo3 drivers into the games root directory? I had to do that in order to get Powersilde to work with my Voodoo 5 5500 AGP.

I haven't read the readme for URP to see if there are any cmd line switches yet.