Common searches

POD and Voodoo 5

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't seem to get POD to run properly on my Voodoo 5. I've got Version 2.0 and updated to 2.1 with Voodoo support. Also running the latest official Voodoo 5 drivers.
Anyway, for some reason the cars and basically all the scenery are not rendered properly, with lines of garbled textures running across each model.
Also, when in game, most of the interface buttons (like calling up the menu with Escape), don't work or only work when they feel like it.

DirectX version works fine, I would have liked the extras of the 3Dfx version though (namely 800x600 and a bit better graphics).

Reply 1 of 23, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You could try to copy various glide2x.dll from older (v1,v2,v3 or banshee) 3dfx drivers into your POD directory.

There is no guarantee that this will help, but it might be worth it. Helped me once to run some other game, which I don't remember right now, running on my Voodoo 5.

Reply 3 of 23, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is perfectly normal. The glide2x.dll is part of your 3dfx driver and normally stored in your your windows system directory. POD, as any other Glide 2 game, normally uses this DLL.

But if you copy another glide2x.dll to your games directory, that one is used instead of the one that was installed by your driver.

Reply 5 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately it didn't work...
Voodoo 1 glide2x.dll produced an error message saying that it expected the Voodoo Graphics but detected None.
Voodoo 2 glide2x.dll produced an error message as well, at first it need fxmemmap.vxd present in the folder (Voodoo 5 does not install this at all) and then it basically produced the same error message as the Voodoo 1.
Voodoo 3 glide2x.dll seemed identical to the Voodoo4/5 one and worked exactly like the Voodoo 5 one.

🙁

Reply 7 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Limiting the texture memory didn't any good, but it gave me another idea. Single Chip rendering. That did get the graphics working properly but after only a few seconds of gameplay the sounds cuts (except for CD Audio) completely and I can't use any buttons other than the arrow keys and perhaps some other gameplay buttons. Interface buttons don't work at all, ALT F4 does nothing and nor does CTRL+ALT+DEL.

I should not that I've got a Vortex 2 sound card installed with Direct Sound Acceleration disabled. It still may be the problem though. But wouldn't it happen in DirectX too?

Reply 8 of 23, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Limiting the texture memory didn't any good, but it gave me another idea. Single Chip rendering. That did get the graphics working properly but after only a few seconds of gameplay the sounds cuts (except for CD Audio) completely and I can't use any buttons other than the arrow keys and perhaps some other gameplay buttons. Interface buttons don't work at all, ALT F4 does nothing and nor does CTRL+ALT+DEL.

I should not that I've got a Vortex 2 sound card installed with Direct Sound Acceleration disabled. It still may be the problem though. But wouldn't it happen in DirectX too?

One idea is just get POD Gold
Have try install GS2-POD-Patch?.
I don't recall off hand what take get work with Voodoo 5 and gilde

Reply 10 of 23, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found some older French sites that suggested installing the Force Feedback patch would help. Although this site is geared towards playing it with dgVoodoo, it may be worth your while following the directions in terms of making sure it's up to date (i.e. v. 2.2.9.0), since you've likely got a better chance of compatibility then.

From what I recall, though, POD was just generally problematic on later voodoos.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 11 of 23, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Targaff wrote:

From what I recall, though, POD was just generally problematic on later voodoos.

That what I was thinking to that Voodoo 3, 4 and 5 and POD only work best under DirectX where Voodoo 1 and 2 it was Glide or DirectX
The POD Gold is base on ver 2.0 CD with lot more stuff should have EXE with Version 2.2.8.0 or 1 and date September 29th, 1997 in readme.txt the other POD is also ver 2.0 but it 1996 ver CD

Reply 13 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Yeah, I'm probably going to uninstall it from this PC and give it a try on my Pentium MMX 233 with a Voodoo 1 and see how that works out. Thanks for the tips guys!

Let us know if it worked, ok? 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Worked like a charm, maybe a bit on the slow side at times. Using Win98SE and 128mb RAM as well as a MSI MS-5169. ALi AGP drivers 1.72.
I want to try a few more games on that system to really know whether or not it's behaving as it should.
Quake II seems to run at 20+ fps at 640x480 and full texture quality which sounds normal.

Reply 15 of 23, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

F2bnp, I have exactly the same specs as you, the MSI 5169, Voodoo 1, Pentium 233mmx. For the 2D card, I'm using an ATI Rage Pro. I wish I had the games which you mentioned, POD and Quake II, so I could compare with your results, but alas, I do not.

I have to say that this system has been great for me, playing later DOS and early Windows games. I've had it for about 5 years now, and no complaints so far.

Reply 16 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, my Voodoo 1 seems to be defective or just not working properly on this machine. Put a Voodoo 3 in it's place and it is very impressive. POD runs fine and very very fast but the most impressive is Quake II and 1. 1024x768 and almost 60fps at all times!
Once you get to use games that really demanded a better CPU though like Unreal and Half-Life the system starts to slow down incredibly.

Reply 17 of 23, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, I only play games up to 1998 on that computer, very few titles from that year even, and only if they specifically specify 3dfx voodoo 1 support.

What Voodoo 1 card do you use? the Orchid 3d or Monster 3d?
I have both, but use the Orchid 3d, because of better software drivers and features, and I love the "clicky" mechanical sound which is initialized when starting glide mode.

Reply 18 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure which one I use. Noname company by the looks of it. It does have a couple of heatsinks on the chips though.
Hah, never heard the orchid 3d sound in action, but I've heard a recording of it. It's kinda like a feature, you know which card is working 😜