VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

(WARNING: Some of these changes could be considered cheating on multiplayer servers. I only recommend getting Freelancer into widescreen for single-player gaming or checking with the server admins to see if these changes are allowed!)

I was recently inspired to have another go at Freelancer, the 3D third-person space combat/exploration game released by Microsoft, but I ran into a curious problem. I now have a 1920x1080 monitor, and the last time I played the game I had a 1280x1024 monitor... Freelancer does NOT have built-in widescreen support.

The first thing I did was follow some guides online in regards to forcing the game into widescreen modes using a slew of configuration file changes, but this left the status bars in weird positions and chopped off much of the top and bottom of the 3D parts. ("Vertical -" widescreen style.)

Unsatisfied with this solution, I continued searching for a better one and found one that works perfectly. IE: Everything where it should be on a widescreen display and proper 3D aspect ratios. The only problem really is that LOD kicks in too quickly, so things lose detail noticably sooner, but it's a small price to pay to have the game fill the entire screen.

-------------------------------------------------

Here's what you do:

1. Download the following files from the http://adoxa.110mb.com/freelancer/ website:
http://adoxa.110mb.com/freelancer/dl.php?f=jflpdll
http://adoxa.110mb.com/freelancer/dlp.php?f=hudshift

2. From the ZIP files you obtain, place the following files in the following folders:
HudShift.dll --> Freelancer\EXE Folder
jflp.dll --> Freelancer\EXE Folder
Hudshift.ini --> Freelancer\DATA\INTERFACE folder

3. Open up HudShift.ini and uncomment the particular HUDShift item that applies to the resolution you want to use. For instance, for me, since I wanted to use 1920x1080, find:

; 16:9 (1280x720, 1440x810, 1600x900, 1920x1080).
[;HUDShift]
Horizontal = 0.17

...and change it to this:

; 16:9 (1280x720, 1440x810, 1600x900, 1920x1080).
[HUDShift]
Horizontal = 0.17

4. Locate the file "dacom.ini" in the Freelancer\EXE folder and add the following lines after .\flmaterials.dll in the Libraries section:

jflp.dll nofovx
HudShift.dll

5. Boot the game. Everything will be positioned wrong but you should still be able to click things. Go to the options screen and you'll notice that the selection of screen resolutions will now have your desired resolution in it. Select it, then leave the display settings so the new screen resolution will activate.

6. Done! Enjoy Freelancer in full widescreen glory! :3

(NOTE: These changes might not work with some mods. The only way to know is to try for yourself. To go back on these changes, just remove the alterations you made to dacom.ini and remove the files you applied.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 6, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

would that support a resolution of 5284x1050 ?

Not directly. It MIGHT be possible to hack some kind of multi-monitor support together, but the cutscenes would almost certainly look strange. The custom DLLs override the default resolution settings too so you would have to manually set the resolution and hope the FOV auto-detection figures everything out correctly.

That said, I think you can get source code for these downloads from the author's website, so if you know how to program you could probably find a way to make it all work.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 4 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other thing you can do is enable display scaling in your Intel, Nvidia and AMD video driver to have the game letterboxed (4:3 but with black bars all around).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 6, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, yeah, but the whole point of having a widescreen monitor is being able to use the full screen space! ;)

I'm getting close to the end of the single player campaign and so far, I haven't encountered any glitches with these modifications. It really does make the game play perfectly on widescreen! :3

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 6 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Thanks, it's better than some other w/s patches I've tried; the HUD elements seeming to be the biggest problem. Still a few glitches here and there, but nothing too distracting.

BTW, in HudShift.ini, I also needed to comment out the first part:

[HUDShift]
Horizontal = auto

in addition to uncommenting the specific resolution part, otherwise the left/right side HUD elements were only halfway on screen.