VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello again. Recently I installed Carmageddon 2 with the 2.0 patch. Using a USB-2-PS1/2 adapter I have to re-enable the use joystick and d-pad settings everytime the game is started.

Does anyone know how to force these settings to enabled? Been to wiki for the joystick.txt and options.txt but don't see any commands listed to do so.

In the options I tried joyenabled 1 for fun which was erased after next game startup.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the button configuration stays everytime under the profile.

Steering and FF calibrations always reset as well during startup

Reply 1 of 3, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On what OS? If you're running Windows XP ignore this post.

Not exactly sure how this works, but...it seems that on Windows 7 (Vista too I guess) games are not allowed to write to configuration files that are located in Program Files /Program Files (x86), unless you run them as administrator.

A folder named virtualstore (or something like that) is created somewhere inside a hidden folder in your user folder hierarchy with copies of the files that your game has written to at some point. Enable view hidden files, look for the virtualstore folder and try hand editing the config files there instead.

Alternatively try starting it in Windows XP/98 compatibility mode or even reinstalling the game in your documents folder.

Not sure what happens in Vista/7 if Carmageddon 2 is trying to write configuration settings to the registry?

Reply 2 of 3, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running windows 98SE. No admin rights/UAC needed for that 😀

Haven't checked registry yet. Will check that though.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 3 of 3, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A small update but still not fixed.

I didn't see anything registry wise that would let me force the joystick enabled.

Messing around and tried deleting the joystick.txt file and once Carm2 is started the joystick is enabled...until you exit the game and the new joystick.txt is created...then once more it will be disabled in the menu. I made a batch file to delete the txt file but still looking for a better option.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME