VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cocoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, im playing this game in compatibility mode in windows xp with the last patch and the hardware acceleration on. The problem is that in many areas the texture are distorted, they move as i move. I have tried every option in the game menu but the only thing that fix it is disabling the hardware acceleration. Someone has any idea how to solve this problem ?

A pic:

lolfh.png

Reply 1 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, I didn't even know this game had a hardware accelerated mode. Is this available as a patch? If so I'll give it a shot myself, I usually just play this game in DosBox but I'd be curious to check it out with HW Accel. I'll let you know my experiences when I have time to check it out.

Reply 2 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was it not until you got further in the game that you noticed this issue? I've played up to the draracle's museum and haven't seen anything unusual yet. Do you have mouse look enabled? The game's geometry goes all screwy when your using mouse look but I think that's normal.

Reply 6 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cocoon wrote:

The problem starts in the jungle, sometimes it works fine, sometimes the problem return, very random. When you reach the jungle let me know if you have this problem too or not 😢

Can you post your save game file?

Reply 8 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cocoon wrote:

Intel coredue, ati 3850, windows xp

Here the savegame

Cool thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. I am running on Windows 98 with a Geforce ti4200 so it's more time appropriate and maybe it will help us nail down the issue.

Reply 9 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, didn't get a chance to get to this last night, if I'm not totally dead I will try it after rehearsal tonight, if not I'll surely get to it early in the day on Friday.

Reply 11 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to report I don't see any issues when using your save game. I went to the place in your screenshot with the bridge and everything is ok. I am using an OS closer to what was available at the time of release and a video board which, while way too modern for the release date of the game, is a lot older than yours and actually running drivers that were current when Windows 98 was current.

I'll run this on my XP machine with an ATI 4870 and see if I see anything wrong there, if I do then maybe I can fool with it to see if I can help...

Reply 12 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I was able to recreate this on My Windows XP SP3 machine (core2duo) that has an ATI 4870 running Cat 11.7 (1 version behind). I tried running in different compatibility modes but that didn't do anything. I also treid manipulating a few of the driver settings for the card but that didn't work either.

I use this machine primarily for work so I really don't want to go swapping in and out different video boards to figure out if it's an ATI driver issue, but I'll upgrade to Cat 11.8 and see if we get lucky. I'll update this post to let you know.

*UPDATE: 11.8 has the same issue. Was hoping against hope we'd get lucky. At this point I don't know what to suggest...maybe run it in software mode on the levels where this occurs? I know that sucks but I don't know where else to take this. You could also build an older machine. I don't know where the problem lies but I can tell you Win 98 with an Nvidia ti4200 doesn't have this issue. If I'd have to guess I'd say it's modern ATI drivers. Can't guarantee that modern Nvidia drivers don't do this as well though. Sorry man if I think of anything else I'll get back to you.

Reply 13 of 13, by Cocoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a trick that solves the problem in some areas: Deactivate mouse lock (right mouse for me), save, load that save, problem solved. Then deactivate mouse lock every time saving. Unfortunately in a couple of areas this trick doesnt work. Better than nothing.