VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bethrezen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

having something of a problem with Privateer 2 - The Darkening deluxe edition and I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help.

After a little messing about I finally got P2 to install and load it turns out it doesn't like NTFS partitions once I installed it from and to my backup fat32 partition it stopped complaining and went in fine it also loads and runs fine even without the compatibility switch set problem is it’s way to fast.

after looking round the web I came across a slow down patch which did slow it down a good deal trouble is the patch seems to have been made to long ago for modern system so as a result it doesn't slow things down enough

specifically it's when you are in space is where it’s still to fast when your on planet/space station the speed is fine so I need to slow down space flight a little more

now in the read me the author of the patch mentions a way to adjust the amount of slow down the patch applies

---TECHNICAL--- To all you hackers out there, this is how P2 works. It ran fine on my Pentium 200MHz back in '97, but is way to […]
Show full quote

---TECHNICAL---
To all you hackers out there, this is how P2 works. It ran fine on my Pentium 200MHz back in '97, but is way to fast on any modern computer, so slowing down each frame is needed to make it playable. Hacking in a call to Sleep() at the end of each frame does the trick.

It uses DirectDraw, but only copies directly to the front buffer. There are three functions that do this: one for movies, one for the UI, and one for space combat. Movies already work because of the strict timing required. The rest of the game is typical of a DOS program...

The UI function copies the whole screen at once, so adding a call to the end of this function fixes it perfectly (the sound is fixed too!)

Space combat is different. The function only copies a small part of the screen, so the call to Sleep() had to be added to the main loop.

If it is too fast or too slow, try tweaking the values at 87D79h (UI, default 20ms) and 87D8Dh (space, default 30ms).

trouble is I'm not a programmer and I don't understand ?? so I'm unable to adjust the patch my self so I'm wondering if anyone knows of an updated slow down patch that's designed for modern systems or can perhaps suggest another way to slow things down a little more

Reply 3 of 7, by Bethrezen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this on the Wing Commander CIC site.

http://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Deluxe_Edition_Speed_Fix

hi

that's is the patch I'm using at the moment while it does slow things down a good deal compared to an unpatched version to p2 it still seems to run a bit to quick because that patch was designed for older computers that have like 700mhz processor not 3.2ghz processors

provide a link to the patch someone may hex edit it for you

I'd edit it my self if i knew how but the author of the patch doesn't really provide a walk through I'm familiar with using a hex editor because on occasion I've hex edited my save file to increase my credits

ps: the dos version of p2 works fine in dosbox

trouble is i don't really know how to use dos box because the *.conf files i have for running some of my older games where pre-made and i have no idea how to get dos box to generate one for p2 assuming that i could find the relevant files to turn a deluxe version in to a dos version

Reply 4 of 7, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

launch hex editor
open dark.exe in hex editor
navigate to offset 87D8D (hex) // 556429 (decimal)
increase the value found at that offset
save file dark.exe

Space is already capped at 33.3 frames per second
I don't know if lowering that will help any.

hex value 32 (50 decimal) would cap the fps at 20

Reply 5 of 7, by Jubba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi peeps.

I'm having a problem getting Privateer 2 to install from the cdrom. I've got the dosprogs directory in C: and have mounted the drive and changed dir to it. The DIR command only brings up....

. <DIR>
.. <DIR>
0 File(s) no bytes
2 Dir(s) 262,111,744 bytes free.

I can't remember how to cd to the game folder where the install.exe is.

Sorry, bit of a noob am I ! any help appreciated.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jubba wrote:

I can't remember how to cd to the game folder where the install.exe is.

Sorry, bit of a noob am I ! any help appreciated.

Start with the 60 Seconds Guide.
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox