Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm playing warcraft 3 on this:

win 7 pro 64
phenom x4
hd4850
21" lacie crt

The game looks great at 1600x1200 but the video clips look very pixelated [areas of similarish coloration look like they are made from blocks].

Any ideas? I'm using catalyst 2010.0527.1242.20909.

Reply 1 of 9, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that resolution the native display mode for your monitor ?

I run my 22 inch widescreen in it's native mode of 1680 x 1050 and didn't note what you are referring to, I will have another look however.

You are referring to the cut-scenes I take it.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 3 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I am referring to the cut scenes.

I'm not using a widescreen monitor, it's a 4:3 crt hence using 1600x1200 on the hd4850.

I didn't realise the cutscenes were 640x480 so I guess it could just be blowing that up; somehow I imagined that sort of thing was just like DVD footage. [Or is that also going to be affected? Not sure I ever watched a dvd on this screen.]

I had thought the videos looked better on another computer using the same monitor but that's since decided to crash every time I call the game up. Sod's law.

Edit: Ok, now I tried it on my voodoo 5 box, same monitor. Some graininess but it looks a lot better to me, there is pixelation but it doesn't seem to last as long and/or there is less of it. Quite hard to tell but there isn't the intrusive "this is shit" feeling when playing the video cutscenes on the v5 . Pity the v5 can't handle the maximum resolutions for the game. I notice with both cards that when the scene changes in a cutscene, it starts blocky and then it gets smoothed. The voodoo has better colours so maybe that's part of it. But it looks like the hd4850 is not smoothing things as fast. Weird. Maybe it's just my imagination, heh.

Hmm now I see these catalyst drivers have all sorts on useful looking options under video, all of which seem to be impossible to save so they might as well not be there. De-blocking, mosquito noise reduction, and so on.

Reply 4 of 9, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I take it the game doesn't directly support Glide then ???

If it did then I was going to suggest using a Glide wrapper and test again.

Also, try going down to say 1024 x 768 resolution mode and see what it looks like.

My guess is that the cutscenes get stretched to fit the desktop resolution.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I tried lower resolutions but I couldn't see any difference in the cutscenes, I'll try again later this week. It doesn't support glide but you can use opengl instead of directx. Though the opengl version was supposed to be not as good iirc.

Reply 6 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're running the Voodoo 5 at the same monitor I presume?
Well, then it must be some kind of incompatibility with the newer graphics cards, those blocks you speak of tend to happen in a lot of games, I've never exactly found out what the cause of that really is. Perhaps some option in Ati Catalyst Center?

Reply 7 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't suppose you've got a picture of this?
To be honest it just sounds like compression artifacts, they get much more noticable at high res.
This is pure speculation, but maybe the difference between the Voodoo and the Radeon might be because the Voodoo has a higher quality RAMDAC? I'm assuming the Radeon has dual DVI outputs, while the Voodoo would have VGA. ATI might have cheaped out a bit on the Radeon's RAMDAC since it was intended to be primarily used with a digital monitor.

Reply 8 of 9, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember in Warcraft 2 animations were plenty pixelated.
Maybe your Warcraft 3 is simply being nostalgic 🤣

Last edited by MaxWar on 2011-09-13, 00:58. Edited 1 time in total.