VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm in the process of getting hold of an ISA Net card (with RJ45) and it got me thinking about net browsing. It's really only for general interest and nothing serious but what are the options for a 386SX @ 25Mhz? I know that technically Internet Explorer 4 and 5 would work despite advertising atleast a 486 CPU and at nearly twice the frequency of what I have but apparently it works though it's VERY slow. However I can't find any hardware requirement info on anything less then IE 4 so I don't know if any of the older ones would be atleast usable on my hardware. IE does seem the obvious choice but are there any other good alternatives I can look for?

If it's of any use here's the specs I'm working with:

AMD i386SX @ 25Mhz.
Intel i387 Co. Processor @ 25Mhz.
16Mb RAM (100ns).
3Com Etherlink II (Probably).
Ad-Lib On-board Sound.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply 2 of 15, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember years ago i tried the dos browser Arachne on a 486.
Searching for it i found a funny 11 years old thread about it.

http://www.computing.net/answers/dos/arachne- … ience/3443.html

Reply 4 of 15, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried arachne on a 486DX2-66 and although it works its painfully slow. On a 386SX I'd just stick to lynx to be quite honest.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 15, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the responses guys, a text based browser huh? Didn't think of that but sounds pretty interesting. Lynx does look rather good and after some research I have found some info about Arachne and saw someone on YouTube had it running on his 386, though it's hard to tell on a video how fast it was running.

As for OffByOne, that's looks pretty straightforward and a nice GUI too. I will have to give them all a go when I get some blank CD-R's. 😀 I got IE 3 aswell (Win 3.1 version) so might aswell give it a punt.

[EDIT] After looking at the OffByOne website it says it only supports 95 onwards so not too hopeful with that one though I will give it a try.

Reply 7 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind that HTTP has changed sufficiently that an outdated browser will no longer function correctly. (There's a video out there somewhere showing the evolution of Internet Explorer that discusses the problem in more detail – IE 1.0 will no longer work directly.)

Otherwise I would direct you to http://browsers.evolt.org/ .

Reply 9 of 15, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand that old, text and javaless browsers wont look pretty on modern internet sites but its really out of curiosity more then anything. Plus there's a few abandon sites that id like to see anyway. 😀

Davros wrote:

what o/s are you using

Oops I should have said really. Windows 3.1.

Reply 12 of 15, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

did you know the sb awe64 cd contains i.e 2.0

I think you can still download old IE installers on the OldApps website.

Edit: Oh wait it only goes down to 4.0. I got 3.0 for Win3.1 anyway so I would think that would run on 386SX without too much issues.

Reply 13 of 15, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

did you know the sb awe64 cd contains i.e 2.0

Then what about contacting OldApps website and tell them, that it is possible to get IE2.0 via that AWE64 installer ?

tokyoracer: What about Mosaic Internet Browser , or is that only a Win32 browser ?

Reply 14 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://browsers.evolt.org , as previously mentioned, has pretty much every version of every PC browser that ever was.

But as I said, something as ancient as Mosaic just plain isn't going to work with today's Internet due to changes in the HTTP protocol.

Reply 15 of 15, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

tokyoracer: What about Mosaic Internet Browser , or is that only a Win32 browser ?

Yeah that look pretty good thanks il give that a try. 😀

Like I said i'm not expecting it to work well, it's really for old and/or simple site browsing. Plus it's just out of interest. It'll make use of the Network card i'm waiting for aswell.