VOGONS

Common searches

Catz & Dogz

Topic actions

First post, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any way I can get these working for my wife on either my 7 Pro 64Bit system/her Vista Home Premium 32Bit laptop? 7 gives me the error you see below & DosBOX v0.74 wasn't any help.

If at 1st you don't succeed, so much for skydiving!

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Catz and Dogz are 16bit games so cannot work on a 64bit OS without emulation. So if you want to run them on a 64bit OS then you'll need to use VirtualPC,VirtualBox,Vmware, DOSBox, etc running at least Windows 3.x as a guest OS.

Catz and Dogz work fine on Vista 32bit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should update to Catz/Dogz 5 at least, that's loads better, and is pretty much the final product in the pf magic legacy.

Even though Catz/Dogz 2 is 32-bit, it'll refuse to run on any NT derivative.

Dogz is one of the rare ones that even BREAK in Windows 98 due to the new shell captions.

ALSO DON'T JUDGE ME FOR PLAYING PETZ

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 10, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're not the only one. I used to play Petz 3 and 5 obsessively when I was younger. 🤣 Those games, along with The Sims, SimCity 2k/3k, Majesty, various emulators, and Civ 2 (all played with gratuitous amounts of cheats 😁) were my PC gaming crack from the ages of 7 to 10. 🤣

Reply 5 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Dogz is one of the rare ones that even BREAK in Windows 98 due to the new shell captions.

Interesting. What do you mean?

USNF 97 was another one. It was 32 bits, but needed a patch to run properly under Windows 98.

Reply 6 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

while on the subject of crappy software, back in highschool I would run a little program called sheep. And what it would do was literally drop a sheep onto your desktop. You could pick him up with the mouse and move him around.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.